• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two contracts : Which to pick : Bailing out!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two contracts : Which to pick : Bailing out!

Hi

I have one agreed contract with a start date. I have another contract with another agency that does not have a start date yet but the verbal agreement from the agent that the client is interested and is waiting to get things sorted out to give me a start date. The start date for the agreed contract is 18th September 2006. If I agree to this contract and then get a start date for the second contract how can I bail out of the 1st contract? Am I tied in? Has anyone ever had this issue?

Can any assist me with advice here?

Thanks in advance!

Have you signed the contract?

Besides that - it doesn't reflect you very well professionaly bailing on an agreed contract. If you hired a builder to do some work on your house and then he cancelled because he had another gig, would you use him again?

Comment

No I havent signed anything yet. Havent agreed to anything. Should I tell agent one the truth or not. (Agent one : the job with the agreed start date)The second contract is closer to home and on a higher rate. It just needs to get confirmed. What to do?
      Last edited by coolg; 4 September 2006, 10:17.

Comment

I agree with Pondlife.

If you gave your agreement on the first contract, it is good practice to keep your word. It also helps build a good image of the contracting industry to the clients.

Don't be too greedy. It may bring more money on the short term, but certainly not on the long run, IMHO.

Comment

I agree with the others, you should stick with your agreed contract. There is in any case a risk that you don't get the second one and then you lose both. Look at building your business in the long term. Anyhow, you can always get out an renewal time.

Also, if the first contract is B2B, then regardless of when you are actually due to start work on it, it may be possible for the agent to sue you for breach of contract if you pull out - particularly if they then can't find anyone else at short notice to backfill for you. They stand to lose quite a bit including the confidence of the client, their rate from the client for your contract and, arguably, their cut of potential work from the client for other contractors who they would now be unable to place because the client won't favour them anymore. Plus legal fees, could come to quite a tidy sum.

Technically you could probably sub-contract (ie. use your substitution clause, assuming you have one) but this would be difficult for the agency to accept unless you have access to a pool of similarly skilled individuals who you can use. Offering a suitable substitute may well be a way of getting out without being sued because the B2B contract is still in place regardless of who does the actual work, so I guess if the agency refuses then they can't easily claim breach of contract. You will certainly make them very unhappy and they will certainly tell the client it was all your fault.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Another view (not necessarily my own but let me play devils advocate for a while)...

Take the second gig if you haven't signed anything. Theres enough work out there to not worry about pissing off one client or pimp. If the market changes then pimps will not remember you and if you can make them money will use you even if you have reneged on an (unsigned) contract before...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Stick with the one with the contract/start date, other is "pie in the sky" till you have a contract and a start date.

If the latter was really serious about the role they would have provided both

Comment

Working...
              X