• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isn't it time to let this go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You stand a decent chance of getting vaccinated against Covid before you die of old age?

HTH BIDI

The UK was in the EU when it started its vaccination programme.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The UK was in the EU when it started its vaccination programme.
      The UK left the EU in Jan 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Indeed the UK was actually under EU law when the contracts were agreed. So no it would have made no difference, and there would have been a spat. In other words this was not due to Brexit. Other EU countries also have their own national contracts with vaccine suppliers. The difference is that the UK put exclusivity in their terms and conditions. This is not prohibited under EU law.

If the UK had been in the EU the EU wouldn't have been able to impose export restrictions so in fact the UK would have been in a better position. Other countries would have complained but legally there would have been nothing they could have done,
        You're intent on mental gymnastics on this particular topic aren't you.

Had we still been in the EU, or been stupid enough to join their procurement process we would have had to distribute it amongst the procurement block, which was practically every country, except the quasi-dictatorship, Hungary. The EU agreement was penned by the Germans/French/Dutch/Italians 3 months prior to EU's contract, and amazingly the EU went with the same contract (i.e. sat on it for 3 months).

In the grand scheme of things I wish we remained, however Brexit did enable us to go it alone on vaccine procurement, and the facts as they stand is that we're doing better than the shambolic EU effort. Given our covid statistics, I'm happy we got vaccines right.

The smug posts criticising the decision not to join EU's procurement are entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          You're intent on mental gymnastics on this particular topic aren't you.

Had we still been in the EU, or been stupid enough to join their procurement process we would have had to distribute it amongst the procurement block, which was practically every country, except the quasi-dictatorship, Hungary. The EU agreement was penned by the Germans/French/Dutch/Italians 3 months prior to EU's contract, and amazingly the EU went with the same contract (i.e. sat on it for 3 months).

In the grand scheme of things I wish we remained, however Brexit did enable us to go it alone on vaccine procurement, and the facts as they stand is that we're doing better than the shambolic EU effort. Given our covid statistics, I'm happy we got vaccines right.

The smug posts criticising the decision not to join EU's procurement are entertaining.
          The EU, procurement process was voluntary however, all 27 countries signed up to it. Any EU country could have chosen to go-it-alone. We are too close to Europe to rely on just the UK to be properly vaccinated. The whole of Europe needs to be vaccinated to the maximum before lockdown can fully be dispensed with.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            The EU, procurement process was voluntary however, all 27 countries signed up to it. Any EU country could have chosen to go-it-alone. We are too close to Europe to rely on just the UK to be properly vaccinated. The whole of Europe needs to be vaccinated to the maximum before lockdown can fully be dispensed with.
            Could have? Historical options don't matter, here we are, this is what happened.

And it's dishonest to say it was completely optional, the EU taking over procurement wasn't gentle, hence Germany being absolutely livid.

Time to take the blinkers off, the EU will be better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              Could have? Historical options don't matter, here we are, this is what happened.

And it's dishonest to say it was completely optional, the EU taking over procurement wasn't gentle, hence Germany being absolutely livid.

Time to take the blinkers off, the EU will be better for it.
              Now you're talking bollox and babbling on like the Daily Mail...

You may find this interesting...

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Now you're talking bollox and babbling on like the Daily Mail...

You may find this interesting...

Nice deflection and personal insult! The intellect of a slug.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  But it's been less than a month.

During a pandemic when people can't travel.

And in January when people are paying off Christmas and haven't yet bought anything from Europe, and if they have are wondering why their packages are still stuck at the post office but haven't got around to finding out why...

Brexit: - I was asked to pay an extra GBP82 for my GBP200 coat - BBC News

No, there's much more entertainment to be had here.
                  And I forgot to include Covid and vaccinations!

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    And I forgot to include Covid and vaccinations!

I like Brexit too!!

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      The UK left the EU in Jan 2020
                      Yes but it was under EU law, so it's completely ridiculous to suggest this was possible because of Brexit.

The fact that this is trumpeted as the main benefit of Brexit demonstrates the futility Brexit.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 31 January 2021, 10:55.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X