• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit negotiations to continue into 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit negotiations to continue into 2021

'Negotiations NEVER end!' Legal expert highlights worrying 10-page section of Brexit deal

About ten pages of the UK-EU trade agreement are devoted to setting up, without exaggeration, dozens and dozens of UK-EU talking shops. Committees, assemblies, working groups, and so on.
    Looks like British officials will be spending a lot of time in Brussels. A lot of red tape.
    I'm alright Jack

It's going to be blue tape from now on.

Comment

Will it start off as a "common market" and morph into something much bigger ?
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

It looks like these committees and working groups will ensure that UK and the EU's laws will be compatible into the future.

I presume Britain will have to appoint a commissioner to manage all this. An appropriate title would be an "EU Commissioner".
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's going to be blue tape from now on.
          don't nick my lines. ivan
          https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2844198

Comment

Wait until 2024 when there is a new round of negotiations as some parts of the agreement only last until then: Brexit II
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              I thought it was weird Atwat actually had a witty comment. I was sure he stole it....

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Wait until 2024 when there is a new round of negotiations as some parts of the agreement only last until then: Brexit II
                I think after 4 years the UK will recognise they need a more in depth agreement including services, in the long term I suspect it will look increasingly like Switzerland.

The point is that it isn't like a deal with Canada where the trade agreement is signed, sealed and put on a shelf to gather dust, whilst everyone gets on with it.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Annual fishing negotiations with the EU

The more details come out the less it looks like sovereignty and the more it looks like the UK will be on a tight leash.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

This “deal” will not last that long (2026 for fish negotiations)

It’s basically a new final transition period with uncertain date when tulip (tariffs/quotas) can hit the fan in response to Tory Govt fookery (like new US deal).

It’s the final call for anybody relying on trade with EU to relocate or wind down business here (by hot investing in it).

Comment

Working...
                    X