• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's going to be interesting in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Still wouldn't rule out some last minute pettifogging. They have Dominic Cummngs in No 10, and they'll do anything he says.
    FTFY
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Still wouldn't rule out some last minute pettifogging. They have Nikki da Costa in No 10, and she knows her stuff.

This is an interesting read for example:

Proponents of the new Bill to stop No Deal face a significant dilemma over Queen's Consent | LSE BREXIT

Who knows...

I fear modernity has finally caught up with the British make-do (non)-constitution.
      It only worked if there was a consensus on ways to behave. We're way past that.
      There really must be a written constitution asap.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I fear modernity has finally caught up with the British make-do (non)-constitution.
        It only worked if there was a consensus on ways to behave. We're way past that.
        There really must be a written constitution asap.
        Yup. This whole charade has exposed it as completely unfit for modern times, and I don't see anything changing soon. Corbyn and McDonnell won't be any different (and, TBF, they'll have an excuse now ).

Comment

Election date of 14 October, apparently (assuming the SO24 works tomorrow - or possibly Wednesday after it completes the HoC stages). Anyway, Monday 14 October locked in, if you believe the briefings.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I hope the Remainers fail in their bid to postpone the Brexit date/bring down the govt/or whatever they've got in mind.
            The country needs a hard Brexit with the opportunists who supported it still in charge.
            Then the entertainment will continue for those watching with interest from afar.
            I'm kind of bored with it - just readin the headlines. I'm waiting for the post-match highlights before I get into the detail again.

Mind you, my son just told me he'd saved 150CHF paying for his hire vehicle in the UK today, rather than last month.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I wouldn't worry your pretty little heads over it, the USA are coming to the rescue of their little cousin and will sort it all out:

Originally posted by Mike Pence;Today
              We will continue to work closely with our partners in Ireland and the United Kingdom to support a Brexit plan that encourages stability and also one which keeps the strong foundation forged by the Good Friday Agreement.

We understand these are complex issues.

I will be in the UK meeting with Trump's Bendover Boy, Prime Minister (in name only) Boris Johnson in just a few days but I think the opportunity to better understand Ireland’s perspective and unique needs, particularly with regard to the Northern border, will make us even better equipped to hopefully play a constructive role that when Brexit occurs, it will occur in a way that reflects stability and addresses the unique relationship between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Maybe Johnson and Farage have a backroom deal for an electoral pact, leaving the anti No Deal vote split.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Maybe Johnson and Farage have a backroom deal for an electoral pact, leaving the anti No Deal vote split.
                  Seems unlikely for at least two reasons. First, Farage has placed an impossibly high bar on this - WTO or nothing. Second, if Johnson were to agree a formal pact on that basis, you'd see a lot more Tories voting Lib Dem. I reckon the only way for Johnson to unite the leave vote is to actually leave and hold an election shortly thereafter, but that route doesn't seem open. Also, Labour saying tonight that they won't support an election until an extension is secured. That leaves Johnson in a very tricky spot...

Comment

Seems unlikely for at least two reasons. First, Farage has placed an impossibly high bar on this - WTO or nothing. Second, if Johnson were to agree a formal pact on that basis, you'd see a lot more Tories voting Lib Dem. I reckon the only way for Johnson to unite the leave vote is to actually leave and hold an election shortly thereafter, but that route doesn't seem open. Also, Labour saying tonight that they won't support an election until an extension is secured. That leaves Johnson in a very tricky spot...

Johnson doesn't give a damn about the UK so WTO suits him fine, and he can always renege on the pact later and blame the EUSSR and traitors.

Some Tories would vote Lib Dem, but the pro-Brexit vote would largely not be split individual constituencies (Tories agree not to stand in Labour seats that voted for Brexit).

Ultimately, parliament should be able to stop the government leaving with No Deal. Otherwise, the UK is in very deep do-do, and not principally because of No Deal Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      I'm kind of bored with it - just readin the headlines.
                      When I got my gig about 2.5 years ago, politics was a constant theme. Now no-one discusses it - totally fed up.

Comment

Working...
                      X