• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investors pull billions from UK on prospect of no-deal Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Speaking of investing in sunny Europe, I'm now in a position where I can buy a second property so where should I start looking at? Spain/Portugal/Italy?

Where should I move my british money to?
    Not Portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Not Portugal.
      Isn't Portugal the only European country that the UK hasn't gone to war with?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Isn't Portugal the only European country that the UK hasn't gone to war with?
        I wouldn't know about that and can't be bothered to google. But I find it on the Iberian peninsula is not one big country. I have heard the Portuguese are vicious bar stewards - maybe that explains it. Whenever I visited they all seemed nice to me.

Comment

Speaking of investing in sunny Europe, I'm now in a position where I can buy a second property so where should I start looking at? Spain/Portugal/Italy?

Wherever you find most congenial. Property prices in Portugal were rising at 9% per annum but seem to be overheating.
          I don't intend to sell though, I've just bought for the lifestyle, which is great.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

BTW the property purchase system in Portugal is much more sensible than the UK. Both seller and buyer put down a substantial deposit (say 10K, held in escrow) on start of proceedings. This is adjusted at completion. If either pulls out they lose the deposit and it goes to the other party. So gazumping/timewasting is rare and you get compensated if it happens. Takes 2 months with minimal grief to buy there.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Also, I don't think Portugal has the "offers over" system when buying a property?

That's an annoying pain in the butt...

Comment

Also, I don't think Portugal has the "offers over" system when buying a property?

That's an annoying pain in the butt...
                Not that I know of...
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

All three of those are in serious danger of crashing Greece-style, so I'd wait until one of them actually happens, and pick up a bargain.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    All three of those are in serious danger of crashing Greece-style, so I'd wait until one of them actually happens, and pick up a bargain.
                    Lucky you live in successful Britain then.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      BTW the property purchase system in Portugal is much more sensible than the UK. Both seller and buyer put down a substantial deposit (say 10K, held in escrow) on start of proceedings. This is adjusted at completion. If either pulls out they lose the deposit and it goes to the other party. So gazumping/timewasting is rare and you get compensated if it happens. Takes 2 months with minimal grief to buy there.
                      Sensible system, pretty obvious too - every time I bought car in UK I had to put down deposit for it as sign of good faith FFS, why can’t it be done with much more expensive real estate purchase?

Comment

Working...
                      X