• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP - How low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And it’s JtB’s standard operating procedure. Claim there is a direct link and ask people to accept it as true then argue from there.

Since joining the EU there has been an increase in obesity. That’s a fact. But one is not the cause of the other.
    So, had you not considered that the greater choice an availability of food since joining the EU might have had such an effect?

I don't claim anything, what I do is suggest, which isn't the same.

I don't think any of us here can prove anything. We can only form an opinion based on what information we see, and crucially that information might have been presented with a bias towards the author's own agenda, and that includes HMG.

Look at what I've said about the new speed limit between J41 and J42 on the M4. Clearly I wouldn't expect you to be party to all the local debate which has surrounded this issue, so your opinion might be based on incomplete information.

It is a fact that when the Welsh Assembly was served with a FOI request to publish the accident statistics prior and post the installation of a speed camera at J41 on the M4, they and South Wales Police fought tooth and nail to stop such a publication. However, they were forced to do so eventually and surprise surprise, the accident rate had increased after the camera was installed. They were obliged to remove the camera. However, undeterred, they then introduced average speed cameras and have now extended those for a few more miles on the premise that it will reduce pollution.

Comment

I doubt very much that companies will continue chrome plating with a proven toxic chemical after the UK leaves the EU. They'll use the new processes. It is also doubtful that the speed limits will be changed.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Fine, let’s look at your comparison then.

Coal mining is dangerous, but it hasn’t been banned outright and HSE laws have been introduced (both EU and solely domestic) to make it safer for the employees.

Chroming using certain materials is dangerous, it it hasn’t been banned outright and the proposal was to bring in laws to make it safer for the employees.

Not that difficult.
        agreed, but in my sphere of interest, the excesses of the EU have only been tempered by strong lobbying from interested organisations. Which is why I say that people will have formed their own opinion about EU membership based on public perceptions, however wrong, e.g. Turkey joining the EU, and their perception as to how their sphere of interest has or would be affected be the EU. However, as far a chrome plating is concerned, I understand that there was a licensing proposal which could have proven costly enough to put many organisations out of business. I really don't know what the current situation is though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I doubt very much that companies will continue chrome plating with a proven toxic chemical after the UK leaves the EU. They'll use the new processes. It is also doubtful that the speed limits will be changed.
          It's interesting to note the effective proposed increase in dependence on batteries, which clearly contain toxic materials.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
            Unless she's your typical obese gammon in which case she's an important source of Carbon storage
            But consider the methane production.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              Well, if you think the chrome plating of hydraulic rams and similar industrial devices isn't fundamental to daily life, then I'm not sure how our major infrastructure projects would cope without them.

It isn't fundamental. That's why most pistons are now coated with far more durable products than chrome plating.
              For example the Porsche 911 uses Nikasil to coat the relevant parts.

You're probably not aware of it, but Jaguar tried to do the same with their V8 in the late 90s, but unfortunately they didn't do a good job on the design of the engine, running it too cool and not making it able to cope with high sulphur fuel. Must have cost them a bomb to fix that.

There's also Nigusil and Alusil, Apticote 2000, Heller CBC, etc
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

... I really don't know what the current situation is though.
                You don't know what the situation is, but you're happy to make up ideas that have no proof, claim you have discussed these ideas with non-existent friends, and you have all come to the conclusion that everything bad is due to the EU.

Do us all a favour and stay out of the professional forums with your trolling, or you might find you've got more time on your hands to find other forums to drone on.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  It isn't fundamental. That's why most pistons are now coated with far more durable products than chrome plating.
                  For example the Porsche 911 uses Nikasil to coat the relevant parts.

You're probably not aware of it, but Jaguar tried to do the same with their V8 in the late 90s, but unfortunately they didn't do a good job on the design of the engine, running it too cool and not making it able to cope with high sulphur fuel. Must have cost them a bomb to fix that.

There's also Nigusil and Alusil, Apticote 2000, Heller CBC, etc
                  I am totally aware of the Nikasil issues (I've owned and driven various Jaguar models since 1985 and I'm a member of the Jaguar Driver's Club, since I own an E-type), and BMW had the same problem with their 5 series models at the same time.

Comment

even more mind numbingly tedious tulipe
                    can't you just feck off and bore mumsnet or summat??

geez, you're DULL.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      can't you just feck off and bore mumsnet or summat??

geez, you're DULL.
                      At least Yorkie was an entertaining cretin.

Comment

Working...
                      X