• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More job losses due to Brexit?

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    well, your second statement clearly explains my position in relation to your first statement.
    I came to the same conclusion. It’s people just like you that the media and politicians sought to influence - tell a lie, you’ll believe it, and it becomes nearly impossible to retract.

You’re part of the problem.

But, it doesn't alter the fact that we were lied to originally, in that we were advised that we were joining a free trading organisation and there was no mention of the accompanying legal issues, although the government knew at the time what the long term implications and goals were likely to be.

I still contend that if we were presented with all the facts back then, the UK would not have voted to join. We've now had 40 years of EU "rule", it remains to be seen what the next 40 years will bring without EU "rule".

As far as the way Wales voted is concerned, it could be that the populace is generally older and remembers more of what they perceived as the "downside" of EU membership, however that perception had been distorted by the media.

The UK accepted the "in" vote then, it must now accept the "out" vote.
    Given your disposition to only remember half truths and lies, why don’t you look up the various speeches by Heath at the time, the various news articles that made it clear that there was significant mention of political integration in the future?

Edit:

Last edited by meridian; 10 July 2019, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      I came to the same conclusion. It’s people just like you that the media and politicians sought to influence - tell a lie, you’ll believe it, and it becomes nearly impossible to retract.

You’re part of the problem.

Given your disposition to only remember half truths and lies, why don’t you look up the various speeches by Heath at the time, the various news articles that made it clear that there was significant mention of political integration in the future?
      well, being significantly younger and less informed then than I am now, we didn't have the Internet remember, and with more pressing priorities like earning a living and supporting my family, I wouldn't have followed the arguments as closely as can be done now.

Comment

well, being significantly younger and less informed then than I am now, we didn't have the Internet remember, and with more pressing priorities like earning a living and supporting my family, I wouldn't have followed the arguments as closely as can be done now.

Comment

Yet, now that you have the time to research them, you still present them as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Yet, now that you have the time to research them, you still present them as fact.
            I didn't read the Daily Mirror or any right wing papers in those days and given that I lived in Wales, I wouldn't have read any regional papers.

It's interesting how people's perceptions of the past will influence them. I had no memory of bombs being exploded in Caernarfon on the day of the Investiture of the Prince of Wales, until a recent TV program broadcast the events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that event. I didn't read papers much at all back in the 1970's and tended to rely on TV debate programs for information, which were not as "sophisticated" shall I say as they are now.

In any event, as I've said, the UK accepted the "in" vote in the 1970's and must now accept the "out" vote. No amount of debate here will change that.

Comment

Working...
            X