• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    You didn’t answer the questions.

Does the introduction of E10 mean that other fuels will no longer exist?

Why would being out of the EU be any different? (Ie what is the “EU regulation” that you’re either wanting to get out of, or wanting to be rescinded?)
    I did try to answer your question. Currently as far as I understand, E10 is not available at the pumps and normal unleaded is allowed to contain up to 5% alcohol, although the percentage does vary. However, most super unleaded is alcohol free, which I use for my vehicles.

The proposal is that only E10 will be generally available eventually, although it is stated that a protection grade, i.e. less than 10%, as it is referred to will be available for some time.

However, as I've said I guess this will depend on economics. If the petrol companies don't make enough money on it, we may be left with only E10, which will be a major issue for classic vehicles. The regulations won't be rescinded in the EU, but the UK government is likely to suspend its implementation if there is sufficient lobbying from the FHVBC etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      I did try to answer your question. Currently as far as I understand, E10 is not available at the pumps and normal unleaded is allowed to contain up to 5% alcohol, although the percentage does vary. However, most super unleaded is alcohol free, which I use for my vehicles.

The proposal is that only E10 will be generally available eventually, although it is stated that a protection grade, i.e. less than 10%, as it is referred to will be available for some time.

However, as I've said I guess this will depend on economics. If the petrol companies don't make enough money on it, we may be left with only E10, which will be a major issue for classic vehicles. The regulations won't be rescinded in the EU, but the UK government is likely to suspend its implementation if there is sufficient lobbying from the FHVBC etc.
      If the oil companies decide to only manufacture E10 because there are too few consumers using standard Super, leaving the EU will make no difference.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If the oil companies decide to only manufacture E10 because there are too few consumers using standard Super, leaving the EU will make no difference.
        agreed, but they are only manufacturing E10 because of the EU edict, not because there is some commercial advantage for doing so.

Comment

Perhaps JtB would prefer we went back to lead in petrol, no cats and smog?

And perhaps he’d like to comment on why, if the evil EU is all powerful and has removed the UKs ability to set laws, then why was the UK not selling E10 in 2010?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

agreed, but they are only manufacturing E10 because of the EU edict, not because there is some commercial advantage for doing so.
            Yes they are and leaving the EU won't change the fact that all refineries in Europe will still manufacture E10 for the UK as well as EU countries unless the UK government were to specifically ban it.

UK refineries will also continue to produce E10 even after Brexit because they want to sell it elsewhere.

This would have happened even if the UK had never been in the EU, because refineries would have marketed whatever they manufacture and petrol stations will offer whatever will sell.

If E10 catches on then it will replace old Super in the same way that Latops have replaced desk tops.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

E10 isn't an EU invention it is available all over the world including the US, and in some countries it is mandatory.

It was first introduced in Thailand in 2007.

It is not mandated in the EU and it isn't an invention by the EU. It has absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia

Blends of E10 or less are used in more than 20 countries around the world, led by the United States, where ethanol represented 10% of the U.S. gasoline fuel supply in 2011.[1] Blends from E20 to E25 have been used in Brazil since the late 1970s. E85 is commonly used in the U.S. and Europe for flexible-fuel vehicles. Hydrous ethanol or E100 is used in Brazilian neat ethanol vehicles and flex-fuel light vehicles and hydrous E15 called hE15 for modern petrol cars in the Netherlands.[2]
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Perhaps JtB would prefer we went back to lead in petrol, no cats and smog?

And perhaps he’d like to comment on why, if the evil EU is all powerful and has removed the UKs ability to set laws, then why was the UK not selling E10 in 2010?
                avgas still contains lead, but little is made of this.

I couldn't have lived without my cats
                But nothing is said about the pollution to the areas local to where the rare Earth elements are being extracted that are used in catalytic converters.

I've never lived in a big city but traffic levels here in Wales were considerably lower than in the rest of the country, especially London, where smog was an issue. But coal fires and steam locos had a major affect on pollution.

What irritates me is the lack of interest by the Greens with respect to past pollution, which still exists. There is a new housing estate being built near me on the site of an oil refinery and new buyers are required to sign an undertaking that they will not grow edible products in their gardens. There must be hundreds of such sites in the country, but nothing effective is being done about them. For some time local to me, the canal and river were being polluted with rusty water as a result of equipment having been left underground when mines closed. The Greens weren't interested as the couldn't see the problem. The canal was privately owned and eventually a filtering station was constructed to remove the pollution. However, I don't know who was found liable for the cost.

Make no mistake, there are many who are making a lot of money out of the global warming issue.

It's interesting to note that just a few days after a report on the pollution levels in Port Talbot, which were naturally attributed to the steel works, that very report was dismissed by the Welsh Assembly and the 50 mph on the M$ was extended by a few miles more, in an attempt to reduce the pollution. No scientific survey was undertaken, but even common arithmetic should would suggest that the saving would be marginal. I think global warming is used to push through some dubious agendas.

I'd better not say any more as I risk being banned for straying from the root discussion.

If the UK hadn't been a member of the EU, then the E10 issue wouldn't have arisen.

Anyway, we all voted in the way we did for a multitude of reasons. Some of the major issues, e.g. immigration were clearly related to geographical areas and given that it doesn't appear to be an issue in Wales, it's all the more surprising that Wales as a whole voted to leave the EU

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  E10 isn't an EU invention it is available all over the world including the US, and in some countries it is mandatory.

It was first introduced in Thailand in 2007.

It is not mandated in the EU and it isn't an invention by the EU. It has absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia

I don't dispute what you've posted. However, it's perceptions that influence the opinions of the populace. I could list many perceptions, which might clearly be wrong, but those perceptions will influence popular opinion.

It doesn't matter what the reality of speed cameras is, or what the police say the reality is, the public's perception of the reality is that they are a cash generating facility.

Winston Churchill is hated in the Rhondda because the perception is that he sent in the troops to quell the riots there. However, the facts are a little different.

Aneurin Bevan is attributed with creating the NHS. Yes, he was the Minister in charge of implementing it, but it wasn't entirely a Labour idea. It had been proposed earlier by a cross part committee discussing what should happen in the UK after WW2. And don't forget that David LLoyd George was a key figure in the introduction of many reforms which laid the foundations of the modern welfare state

Comment

more self important verbose drivel
                    WTF have all your personal issues got to do with deutsche bank <the original thread topic, in case you hadn't noticed> ????

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      WTF have all your personal issues got to do with deutsche bank <the original thread topic, in case you hadn't noticed> ????
                      nothing, I'm just passing the time of day as best I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X