• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit dividend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit dividend

Bargain .... we save £350m a week (OK, that's a lie, but let's pretend we do) to lose £550m a week And the gammons think Corbyn will be bad for the economy

Brexit has cost economy GBP550 million a week since referendum, report finds | London Evening Standard
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Price of Freedom

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Price of Gammon
      FTFY

Comment

Is this measured in Unicorn tears, because for a country that supposed to have collapsed if we voted out, the economy sure is booming....

Comment

So the lie was £900M per week

Comment

The value of the customs union to the UK is overrated | Larry Elliott | Opinion | The Guardian

The customs union works well for German carmakers and French farmers, who have a captive market for their products, but has not delivered anything like the same benefits for the UK.

Those who argue that Britain would be better off negotiating its own trade deals have a point, because the EU is not especially interested in liberalising where it is weak but the UK is strong – services.
            This guy obviously hasn't been receiving the internal Graun memos on how to report the unfolding debacle. He won't last long singing from this flawed songsheet.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              The value of the customs union to the UK is overrated | Larry Elliott | Opinion | The Guardian

This guy obviously hasn't been receiving the internal Graun memos on how to report the unfolding debacle. He won't last long singing from this flawed songsheet.

Perhaps if you read to the end you’d get the point:

If the UK wants to export more goods it needs to be better at manufacturing things that overseas customers want to buy.
              As the writer says, the customs union is about goods, and the U.K. is balanced more towards services, therefore of course the customs union will benefit Germany more. That doesn’t mean that it is of zero benefit to us, just not as much as to Germany.

As he also writes, liberalisation of services is difficult. Not just within the EU though, China, India, the USA are all protective of their services industries.

There are a few other errors in the story, predominantly the continued confusion between customs union and single market, and the insistence that although Corbyn has said “a” customs union it must mean the same as “the” customs union, rather than say a Norway or Turkey CU where they can also do their own trade deals.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Once again your lack of understanding of how the economy works is clear for all to see.

Comment

Working...
                X