• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa survives - badly wounded though

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    And they say there are no positives to Brexit ... well there is one, nice and clear. The Tories can rid their party of the extremists once and for all; they can go and join Farage in their new UKIP 2 party and vanish out of UK politics forever.

"8.23am update: Nicky Morgan predicts exodus of hard Brexiteers

Former minister Nicky Morgan suggested that a split in the Conservatives may be looming, with hardline Eurosceptics leaving the party.

She told the BBC: "I think there's an inevitability that some of these people - the hardest Brexiteers - are going to walk.

"There may be some sort of reconfiguration of parties on the right of the UK political spectrum and that may be something we are going to have to accept in order to get a Brexit deal through the House of Commons.""
    Hammond let slip that the vote was an opportunity to rid the party of the extremists.

I did wonder why Bozo was looking glum in Parliament yesterday during PMQs. Him and his cronies in the ERG have been outplayed.

Hammond and some of May's loyalists in the tory civil war probably put in letters to force the vote knowing it would be winnable, giving protection to May throughout 2019.

So now it's May's deal or no brexit as the only other option on the table (the table being 'no deal' if nothing is agreed by 29th March) is to rescind or extend Article 50. Extending leaves them in similar position to May's deal, so unless Corbyn or some other clown thinks they can negotiate a better deal than Cameron and May have then no point repeating the same action expecting a different response.

Yesterday's vote is a victory for remainers in that BRINO is the worst that can now happen unless the inept government let time run out and end up with the default 'no deal'.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Hammond let slip that the vote was an opportunity to rid the party of the extremists.

I did wonder why Bozo was looking glum in Parliament yesterday during PMQs. Him and his cronies in the ERG have been outplayed.

Hammond and some of May's loyalists in the tory civil war probably put in letters to force the vote knowing it would be winnable, giving protection to May throughout 2019.

So now it's May's deal or no brexit as the only other option on the table (the table being 'no deal' if nothing is agreed by 29th March) is to rescind or extend Article 50. Extending leaves them in similar position to May's deal, so unless Corbyn or some other clown thinks they can negotiate a better deal than Cameron and May have then no point repeating the same action expecting a different response.

Yesterday's vote is a victory for remainers in that BRINO is the worst that can now happen unless the inept government let time run out and end up with the default 'no deal'.
      I agree with most of this with the exception for "I did wonder why Bozo was looking glum in Parliament yesterday during PMQs. Him and his cronies in the ERG" - Bozo isn't one of them and I don't think they like or trust him either. Bozo is glum as he will be a loner and will never become Tory leader as neither remainers or leavers trust him.

Best quote I saw this morning was the one that said "that's £7.50 he'll never get back", referring to Bozo and his new haircut. Priceless.

I'm so glad I'm only working Tues and Weds at the moment ... I get to enjoy all this fun without the distraction of work
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        This is the bit I don't get. Why does remain have to be on a 2nd ballot paper? We voted to leave, and parliament accepts that, or at least it should and if any MP cannot standby the result of their constituents then they should resign, because that is what they are there for, to represent their constituents. Therefore if we are to have a 2nd referendum, the options put to the people should be, May's deal or No deal as they, currently, are the only options available that satisfy the democratic vote of the people. Parliament should then be bound to deliver that result.
        Because No Deal would be disastrous for the country, yet if it was put onto a ballot paper there would be enough people that would vote for it that it would look like a meaningful option. It would only be a viable option if those promoting it were honest about the repercussions, but they are not.

Parliament is not bound the deliver any result unless the referendum is set up as binding beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Because No Deal would be disastrous for the country, yet if it was put onto a ballot paper there would be enough people that would vote for it that it would look like a meaningful option. It would only be a viable option if those promoting it were honest about the repercussions, but they are not.

Parliament is not bound the deliver any result unless the referendum is set up as binding beforehand.
          But we have a deal - and the spoiled children are arguing against it because they cannot accept the will of the people.

Seriously take a step back and look, forget Brexit or remain, right now the actions of some of the politicians who purportedly represent the UK population are an absolute disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Isn't that what democracy is about. You give people the available choices on how to leave the EU. Present the arguments for both, and let them vote.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              But we have a deal - and the spoiled children are arguing against it because they cannot accept the will of the people.

Seriously take a step back and look, forget Brexit or remain, right now the actions of some of the politicians who purportedly represent the UK population are an absolute disgrace.
              And that reflects on the people who voted for them and in turn the rest of the UK population..time for a revolution because that's the only way that the UK is going to bloody the political establishment, not by voting in a bloody stupid referendum
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I dont think it changes anything at all, we will still be leaving at the end of March without anything agreed. There is no way this can be reversed now with the state of the parliament.

And the conservative membership which is probably about 75% leave will start an insurrection if she tries to push through some kind of humiliating fudge. I think the ERG know this, they probably expected to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Who in your statement are the "spoiled children"? Do you mean those opposing the current WA deal that we have? If so, I'd agree with you.

But if parliament won't sign off the only deal to leave the EU that we have, then it should be put to the people again .... we now know what leave will look like, so it would be wholly democratic to ask again, do you want to leave still or would you now prefer to remain?

For 'no deal' / WTO to be on a new ref it must be fully documented so that the people know exactly the implications of leaving under these terms. If those proposing no deal can't be bothered to do the leg work, then it clearly can't be worth pursuing that option.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Who in your statement are the "spoiled children"? Do you mean those opposing the current WA deal that we have? If so, I'd agree with you.

But if parliament won't sign off the only deal to leave the EU that we have, then it should be put to the people again .... we now know what leave will look like, so it would be wholly democratic to ask again, do you want to leave still or would you now prefer to remain?

For 'no deal' / WTO to be on a new ref it must be fully documented so that the people know exactly the implications of leaving under these terms. If those proposing no deal can't be bothered to do the leg work, then it clearly can't be worth pursuing that option.
                    You are missing the point - they people of the Uk voted to leave.

All those who opposed it have all had their chance to say how much of a bad idea that was, to call all the people who voted Brexit cretins and to throw their toys out of the pram - which they have all done.

However they have had that chance, they have had their say, and we all said ok well thanks for the input - however now they need to shut up and do the best they can for the UK population.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      I dont think it changes anything at all, we will still be leaving at the end of March without anything agreed. There is no way this can be reversed now with the state of the parliament.

And the conservative membership which is probably about 75% leave will start an insurrection if she tries to push through some kind of humiliating fudge. I think the ERG know this, they probably expected to lose.
                      Not correct ... there are roughly 500 MPs who don't support a no deal crash, and roughly 150 who do (or might do). Parliament can choose to vote on taking no deal off the table. If they do this (and this is what Labour are pushing for) then it follows that as we get closer to March, if there is still not an agreed deal on the table then either A50 is revoked or extended.

Without a 2nd ref I don't believe many MPs will want to revoke A50, so most likely scenario is A50 is extended. This may then lead into a GE (with a break off Tory party led by Nigel?).

Don't forget, this is not all about the Tories. Labour need the SNP and the smaller parties if they want to form a government, Labour are controlled by unions, none of these want a crash out no deal. Parliament therefore has a majority for a deal of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                      X