• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ECJ judgement is out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECJ judgement is out

Key points:
    - UK can unilaterally revoke (ie member state is fully sovereign)
    - If revoked, UK will stay on the same terms.
    - no additional referendum required to revoke, it only needs to be revoked according to the member state’s constitution.

Makes Mays deal more or less likely to pass Parliament now? More MPs might be emboldened to vote it down knowing that the UK can unilaterally revoke, but ERG might see the deal as the only way to Brexit now.

So the EU has bailed out the UK once again. Or at least is giving UK a chance...

Comment

And how does the UK unilaterally revoking A50 fulfil the referendum result?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
        So the EU has bailed out the UK once again. Or at least is giving UK a chance...
        The EU hasn't. The EU were opposed to this decision. But the ECJ has tried to bail us out.

If the EU didn't want revocation, then it should have put it into Article 50. Interestingly, because Article 50 is silent on revocation, that normally means therefore there is no intention to permit revocation. So the advocate general relied on the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties to establish a precedent. I expect an appeal.

The EU doesn't want unilateral revocation, as it means they cannot punish us with things like removing our rebate or removing some of our existing exemptions. It also means that other countries may decide to trigger Article 50 in order to get themselves a better deal, knowing they can cancel it within two years.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          We have a second referendum, therefore establishing a new referendum result.

The original referendum wasn't binding anyway, so parliament could exercise its sovereignty in a vote to force the government to withdraw its Article 50 notification and repeal the European Union (Withdrawal) Act. (Easier said than done, but there is no majority support in parliament for leaving without a deal).
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

You assume that in any2nd referendum remain would be on the ballot paper. It could be a binary choice. Having decided to leave in the first referendum the choices that satisfy that result are Mays deal or no deal now choose.
            Originally posted by chopper View Post

The original referendum wasn't binding anyway, so parliament could exercise its sovereignty in a vote to force the government to withdraw its Article 50 notification and repeal the European Union (Withdrawal) Act. (Easier said than done, but there is no majority support in parliament for leaving without a deal).

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
              According to what the OP says, there is no need for another referendum. BUT, I haven't read the BBC yet

Comment

I suggest several options with transferable vote. So: -

1. Remain
                2. No deal
                3. May deal
                4. Sick to death of Brexit
                5. I just want to whine at those who voted differently to me
                6. I want an end to growing inequality in the UK
                7. I am fed up with the establishment running the country

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                  I suggest several options with transferable vote. So: -

1. Remain
                  2. No deal
                  3. May deal
                  4. Sick to death of Brexit
                  5. I just want to whine at those who voted differently to me
                  6. I want an end to growing inequality in the UK
                  7. I am fed up with the establishment running the country
                  Add in an AndyW option and you may be on to something.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post

The referendum was advisory according to the act of Parliament. Parliament makes sovereign decisions; they tried their best to make a reasonable arrangement but they failed.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X