• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looks like a 2nd referndum is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there is to be a 2nd referendum, can it be on Scotland being in the UK? And can the whole of the UK have a vote?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      It isn't about looking clever, it's about asserting the rights of the parliamentary democracy you live in.
      Fantastic, she got to the supreme court and that ruled that parliament must have the final say on leaving. So they made a withdrawal bill with a fixed end date of March that got assent. The exit date is now defined in law.

But thanks to Gina any reversal must go through the same process and there is now not enough time.

Any process to reverse it would be held to similar time limiting legal challenges. Assuming parliament can get some common agreement in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Fantastic, she got to the supreme court and that ruled that parliament must have the final say on leaving. So they made a withdrawal bill with a fixed end date of March that got assent. The exit date is now defined in law.

But thanks to Gina any reversal must go through the same process and there is now not enough time.

Any process to reverse it would be held to similar time limiting legal challenges. Assuming parliament can get some common agreement in the first place.
        The point is Parliament decided things, which is right and proper. If Parliament makes the wrong decisions and passes things into law that shouldn't be, that's the nature of our democracy.

Hard Brexit it is then

Let the entertainment continue.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

FTFY.
          It isn't about looking clever, it's about asserting the rights of the parliamentary democracy you live in.
          Brexiteers wanted the UK parliament to be sovereign. And when Miller tried to make sure the UK parliament should be approving the triggering of A50 and not the PM on her own, brexiteers exploded and poored buckets full of sh!t out over her, how strange.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Fantastic, she got to the supreme court and that ruled that parliament must have the final say on leaving.
            No she didn't.

So they made a withdrawal bill with a fixed end date of March that got assent. The exit date is now defined in law.
            Parliament did, yes, as a separate action.

No, nothing to do with Gina, but this is a very good question. As far as the EU is concerned, all the UK needs to do is provide a written retraction of A50 (whether or not this can be unilaterally done or requires agreement with the remaining EU27 member states aside). If we do that, though, presumably there also needs to be a process to remove any Withdrawal Bill from UK law. I have no idea which needs to come first.

There are an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of spanners that can be thrown in the works. Which comes first, retraction or Bill? Can Parliament agree? Even if they do, they can only direct Government (which by convention Government follows) - what if Government refused to follow? Could this be subject to external injunctions by eg Banks/Farage etc?

Comment

The point is Parliament decided things, which is right and proper. If Parliament makes the wrong decisions and passes things into law that shouldn't be, that's the nature of our democracy.

Hard Brexit it is then

The gr8 thing about Brexit is that all outcomes are good

I see each alternative simply as a different form of entertainment. Of course you do have "remoaners" understandably trying to reverse the whole thing, which obviously adds to the entertainment, but generally most non-Brexiteers are simply "enjoying the show".

I listen to Nigel Farage pretty regular and I've never ever heard him sound other than disgruntled, and not only is he disgruntled his hordes of fans are as well. It really doesn't matter what happens. No deal will give the Brexiteers approximately 4 hours of jubliation before the slow but steady disillusionment sets in, day by day watching the UK cave to the EU making one concession after another as their "no deal" "nightmare" begins to take shape.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hard Brexit it is then

It was Hard Brexit all the way. The UK should have been preparing for this for 2.5 years.

Its going to be fun.....

Comment

A no deal is now a real possibility but it will be temporary. I reckon it will last just long enough for the UK to split up after which the restUK under a very left wing Labour government will begin the inevitable capitulation towards BRINO.

I think once it's all done and dusted anyone left standing will have the sh*t taxed out of them.

...and mass migration will continue.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    A no deal is now a real possibility but it will be temporary. I reckon it will last just long enough for the UK to split up after which the restUK under a very left wing Labour government will begin the inevitable capitulation towards BRINO.

I think once it's all done and dusted anyone left standing will have the sh*t taxed out of them.

...and mass migration from outside the EU will increase.

FTFY
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

"The referendum will never happen... leave will never win... they will never trigger A50... we will stay in the single market... we will stay in the customs union... we will get a deal before we leave... we can stop this before march"

Do you lot ever think "well, I've got everything wrong so far, maybe I'm not very good a predicting tulip"

Comment

Working...
                      X