• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another minister quits over May's 'naive' deal ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another minister quits over May's 'naive' deal ...

This time Science Minister who has seen first hand how the EU want the whole cake after UK helped bake it.

Brexit: Minister resigns over Theresa May's 'naive' deal

A UK minister has resigned saying a row over involvement in the EU's Galileo satellite-navigation system exposes Theresa May's Brexit deal as "naive".

The UK had wanted to stay part of Galileo after Brexit, but the EU said it would be banned from the extra-secure elements of the programme.

Mrs May confirmed on Friday that the UK was pulling out of the project.

Science minister Sam Gyimah said the row was "a clarion call" and that any deal with Brussels would be "EU first".

The UK's interests "will be repeatedly and permanently hammered by the EU27 for many years to come", he added in a Facebook post setting out his reasons for resigning.

We can still use the USA GPS system and when it comes down to it who would UK be better aligned with militarily, USA or EU army?

USA trust us with their nukes as they foresaw no scenario where we would use them against them. Can't say same for some countries in Europe even going back only 100 years.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Brexit - The Happy Ending

Love it! The chances of BRINO are draining away to nothing.

Sieze the moment and start looking at properties in the Aude region. Plenty of Ryanair flights to Carcassonne, nice weather, friendly locals, plenty of Brits and you'll be able to get medical treatment free now we are staying in the EU. Obviously don't shell out any cash until the referendum. After that, the £ will rocket.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      This time Science Minister who has seen first hand how the EU want the whole cake after UK helped bake it.

Brexit: Minister resigns over Theresa May's 'naive' deal

We can still use the USA GPS system and when it comes down to it who would UK be better aligned with militarily, USA or EU army?

USA trust us with their nukes as they foresaw no scenario where we would use them against them. Can't say same for some countries in Europe even going back only 100 years.

This is a prime example of why I think Brexiters are stupid. And not a little disingenuous.
      When you negotiate something there are no rules and referees - usually the strongest party wins.
      The point of a negotiation is to get the best deal you can get.
      The EU is putting the EU first? No tulip Sherlock!

The outcome of the negotiations was perfectly predictable to anyone with a brain.

Can't wait for a hard Brexit personally, let the entertainment caused by the stupids continue
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        This time Science Minister who has seen first hand how the EU want the whole cake after UK put in the rules about non-EU nations not having full access to it
        FTFY. We literally inserted the rule about not allowing non-EU countries to have full access.

It’s an EU cake and we’ve decided to leave the party. You don’t get to take any cake home with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          This is a prime example of why I think Brexiters are stupid. And not a little disingenuous.
          When you negotiate something there are no rules and referees - usually the strongest party wins.

The outcome of the negotiations was perfectly predictable to anyone with a brain.

Can't wait for a hard Brexit personally, let the entertainment caused by the stupids continue
          Brexiters don't care about the economy. Their main reason for voting out was immigration, followed by sovereignty (i.e. 'taking back control' of laws and money). The economy was way down the list.

Conversely the main reason people voted remain was the economy. Feeling 'european' or 'loving' the EU was again way down the list, despite comments to the contrary by Brexiters.

This is why brexeters and remainers will never agree. We all know, on both sides, that Brexit will well and truly screw the economy but only one group of us cares about that. This is why using the economy to convince Brexiters that being out of the EU is bad doesn't work now, just like it didn't work back in 2016.

What we have to do is link a poor economy to what Brexiters care about, or show that despite leaving the EU, what people voted for won't actually improve because it was never the EU that stopped us controlling these issues in the first place. Problem is, there is so much misinformation out there, and raging around 'project fear', that all arguments will continue to fail.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Brexiters don't care about the economy. Their main reason for voting out was immigration, followed by sovereignty (i.e. 'taking back control' of laws and money). The economy was way down the list.

Conversely the main reason people voted remain was the economy. Feeling 'european' or 'loving' the EU was again way down the list, despite comments to the contrary by Brexiters.

This is why brexeters and remainers will never agree. We all know, on both sides, that Brexit will well and truly screw the economy but only one group of us cares about that. This is why using the economy to convince Brexiters that being out of the EU is bad doesn't work now, just like it didn't work back in 2016.

What we have to do is link a poor economy to what Brexiters care about, or show that despite leaving the EU, what people voted for won't actually improve because it was never the EU that stopped us controlling these issues in the first place. Problem is, there is so much misinformation out there, and raging around 'project fear', that all arguments will continue to fail.
            I disagree with that analysis.
            There is a hard core of Brexiters who would welcome economic chaos (for their own nefarious and/or monetary reasons).
            But a sizable amount of Brexiters were stupid enough to believe the crap they were fed about the NHS and all the rest, most of these aren't willing to have their plasma TVs, booze, fags, cheap food and PCP deals harmed in any way.

I think the best way to proceed is to kill off May's deal (she's the first person to unite Remainers and Leavers in dislike of her deal ) , then proceed to a hard Brexit.
            Perhaps us Remainers are wrong (though we haven't been so far ) and the economy will be fine
            Because I think people should realise that actions have consequences.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              FTFY. We literally inserted the rule about not allowing non-EU countries to have full access.

It’s an EU cake and we’ve decided to leave the party. You don’t get to take any cake home with you.
              So short sighted they forgot to make sure the clause was 'no non-EU access except us (the UK)'.

Oh well, at least the EU cake is a Victoria Sponge and we can spit on it by withdrawing UK jam that goes in the middle.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I disagree with that analysis.
                There is a hard core of Brexiters who would welcome economic chaos (for their own nefarious and/or monetary reasons).
                But a sizable amount of Brexiters were stupid enough to believe the crap they were fed about the NHS and all the rest, most of these aren't willing to have their plasma TVs, booze, fags, cheap food and PCP deals harmed in any way.

I think the best way to proceed is to kill off May's deal (she's the first person to unite Remainers and Leavers in dislike of her deal ) , then proceed to a hard Brexit.
                Perhaps us Remainers are wrong (though we haven't been so far ) and the economy will be fine
                Because I think people should realise that actions have consequences.
                It's not my analysis, it's the result of surveys post brexit asking people why they voted a certain way. Brexiters stated taking back control and immigration. Remainers stated the economy. Leavers don't care about the impact on the economy, hence why BoE forecasts, Treasury reports etc etc will never turn the Brexiter's minds. It's not what they care about.

I'm with you though; a hard brexit with hard economic impacts that hit Brexiters hard is what we need. We can then reverse all this carp once the suffering starts, and begin to turn this country around again when we go back into Europe.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  It's not my analysis, it's the result of surveys post brexit asking people why they voted a certain way. Brexiters stated taking back control and immigration. Remainers stated the economy. Leavers don't care about the impact on the economy, hence why BoE forecasts, Treasury reports etc etc will never turn the Brexiter's minds. It's not what they care about.

I remember reading somewhere that not a single recent poll showed a Leave majority.
                  But hey polls are unreliable, no skin off my back, a hard Brexit would make sure.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 1 December 2018, 11:45.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Anyone with a brain you say?
                    That reminds me brexiters must be medically examined (autopsy?) on how can they breathe and walk without any brain.
                    They might be the next evolutionary step - using their bone marrow for life support functions.

Comment

Working...
                    X