• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: Trump says May's Brexit plan could hurt UK-US trade deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit: Trump says May's Brexit plan could hurt UK-US trade deal

Donald Trump has suggested Theresa May's Brexit agreement could threaten a US-UK trade deal.

The US president did not specify which aspect of the deal concerned him but told reporters the withdrawal agreement "sounds like a great deal for the EU".

No 10 insisted the deal is "very clear" the UK would have an independent trade policy so that it can sign trade deals with countries around the world".

Mrs May fought off heavy criticism of her Brexit deal from MPs on Monday.

Insisting the agreement "delivered for the British people" by regaining control of laws, money and borders, she said it would be put to an MPs vote on 11 December.

Hours later, Mr Trump told reporters outside the White House: "We have to take a look seriously whether or not the UK is allowed to trade.

"Because right now if you look at the deal, they may not be able to trade with us. And that wouldn't be a good thing. I don't think they meant that."

Brexit: Trump says May's Brexit plan could hurt UK-US trade deal - BBC News

Look we all know the orange one is a prick and has only one focus - which is to make him and his buddies richer.

He will say lots of different things but if it is beneficial for him to trade with the UK he will - likewise if it is beneficial to trade with the EU he will do.

If the UK offers a better deal then the EU for certain goods he will take that.

Comment

No thanks

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You eaten much food in the US then paddy?

Comment

Driving behind a relatively recent Chrysler the other day I noticed rust spots all over the back of the car.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Driving behind a relatively recent Chrysler the other day I noticed rust spots all over the back of the car.
            That is fascinating.

Probably a result of Trump protecting the US steel industry resulting in poor quality products?

Such a shame he thinks he does not want to trade with the UK.

Comment

But when the president says the agreement could jeopardise trade with the UK, it's hard to see what he means. During the transition period, business with the US would presumably carry on in exactly the same way as it does now.

Yet all the time that Britain is in some way yoked to EU rules then there are limits to what can be negotiated in terms of a free trade deal - all points that have been made by those who campaigned for a more decisive Brexit.
              I think it's obvious. The UK cannot make new trade deals during the transition period without EU involvement as the transition has UK still within the EU rules but with hands tied.

So Trump says that a new US-UK trade deal would be in jeopardy as UK is not free agent to make own deal with USA until after transition period, and no guarantee of what will be put in place after then in terms of ties to EU and its rules to ensure UK is free to make new trade deal with US even then.

i.e. While May is determined to keep the UK in the EU at least BRINO then the EU still has a say in what trade deals the UK can make and currently that is none without the EU.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

US Presidents on Brexit

Obama: "back of the queue"
                Brexiteers: outrage at foreign interference

Trump: no trade deal
                Brexiteers: see, proves us right

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  You eaten much food in the US then paddy?
                  In fact yes. Best food was in a Mexican greasy spoon and at the other end of the market, the MG Grand in Las Vegas. In between, the rest was utter carp.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    That is fascinating.

Probably a result of Trump protecting the US steel industry resulting in poor quality products?

Such a shame he thinks he does not want to trade with the UK.
                    I suggest that you do some research on steel quality, the results will surprise you.

Comment

Working...
                    X