• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of movement for Brits in EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    In referendum?
    Me too. I think the right lapses after 15 years abroad.

Comment

Jeezus, it is hardly rocket science. If you want to have a say in the future direction of a country you ought to at least live there and pay your taxes there.

If not then it really is none of your business.

I was born and raised in Scotland but didn't get a vote in the 2014 Indy Referendum. Didn't expect one either as the affairs of Scotland should rest with those who reside there.

That's the problem with you "entitled" fookers.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Jeezus, it is hardly rocket science. If you want to have a say in the future direction of a country you ought to at least live there and pay your taxes there.

If not then it really is none of your business.

I was born and raised in Scotland but didn't get a vote in the 2014 Indy Referendum. Didn't expect one either as the affairs of Scotland should rest with those who reside there.

That's the problem with you "entitled" fookers.

Ex-pats on British passports, of course they should have a say.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Ex-pats on British passports, of course they should have a say.
          They DO have a say. They just don't get a Vote. No representation without taxation.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            They DO have a say. They just don't get a Vote. No representation without taxation.

HTH

We are not part of the USA despite you being up their arse
            Last edited by Paddy; 28 November 2018, 21:25. Reason: arse
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Ex pats in EU totally shafted, the fact they were not allowed to vote was criminal
              One of the problems with moving to the Land of Milk and Honey is that there isn't much Milk, even less Honey, and you don't get to vote for those who promise more of either.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Me too. I think the right lapses after 15 years abroad.
                The last time I was on the voters roll was in 1994 and I have never rented or bought property in the UK. I have always stayed in Hotels or B&B when working in the UK. I have 27/30 of a full pension.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

So much British (English?) exceptionalism. We’re special, we’re ex-pats.

No you’re not, you’re immigrants. Immigrants into foreign countries, that the U.K. has now decided that you should not be able to move to.

(Lol, you’re neither expats nor immigrants, you’re simply exercising your rights to freedom of movement under the relevant treaties, just like all other European citizens. However, the British government has decided that it doesn’t want you to have that right....)

Comment

Ex pats in EU totally shafted, the fact they were not allowed to vote was criminal
                    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    Who said they couldn't vote? - i did.
                    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    In order to vote you needed a UK address and to be on the UK electoral roll at that address. Ex-pats living in the EU or overseas were not given the right to vote. This was despite the fact that the vast majority of countries in the world allow all their ex-pats to vote in all elections and are encouraged to do so.
                    The UK allows expats to vote in General Elections and referendums in the first fifteen years of absence. You are on the electorial role under your last UK address; you have to reregister every year. Children who come of age while abroad - fter some form filling and with the help of another UK national who knows them - register at their parent's last address.

While posterbhoy predictably sneers. the fact is many first world countries continue to allow their citizens to vote on country issues no matter how long they live abroad. Switzerland even allows voting on local issues - but I think that's mainly because sovereignty there resides at community/village level.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

ah super another load of Brexidiots. Bremainers of little brains.

So we have a bunch of saddos who are upset because their definition of democracy is hoping those who voted against them have died off so the Hitler youth (sorry EU Youth after their indoctrination) can tip the balance.

Don't worry Shaun, if they do create an EU army these voters aren't to be feared and you won't have to come out of retirement. its more John Claude van scram than JC Van Damme but I'm sure he is happy to share his nick name - its the muppets from brussells.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X