• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Lawyers For Britain" take on the agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lawyers For Britain" take on the agreement

Withdrawal Agreement: The Northern Ireland Protocol is neither a "backstop" nor temporary - Lawyers for Britain

Which was pretty much my understanding of the "deal" and IANAL.

Frightening if this gets through parliament.

I particularly liked the quote:

It is obvious to a 5-year old child, but not apparently to our Prime Minister, that by conceding all these rights to the EU in the so-called backstop, we ensure that we will get the same terms or worse in any future trade agreement.
    Do what thou wilt

http://www.contractoruk.com/

Tee Hee.....won't be long now till she rocks up back here in Blighty and we get treated to the latest version of the "I have in my hand a piece of paper" speech confirming the surrender terms.

This will undoubtedly unleash mass rejoicing amongst the spineless whiners that feel the need to have their hands held by the Junckers of this world.

Let's hope they are STILL as happy when their children lay into them when their conscription papers for the EU Army land on the doorstep a few years hence.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Withdrawal Agreement: The Northern Ireland Protocol is neither a "backstop" nor temporary - Lawyers for Britain

Which was pretty much my understanding of the "deal" and IANAL.

Frightening if this gets through parliament.

I particularly liked the quote:
      If this is representative of “Lawyers for Britain”’s thinking, then it’s a wonder they passed the bar exam. Perhaps they’re only conveyancing lawyers?:

This absence of a clause allowing withdrawal on notice is unprecedented in trade treaties including the EU’s own trade agreements with non-member countries.
      Hint: the Withdrawal Agreement is not a trade treaty.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Tee Hee.....won't be long now till she rocks up back here in Blighty and we get treated to the latest version of the "I have in my hand a piece of paper" speech confirming the surrender terms.

This will undoubtedly unleash mass rejoicing amongst the spineless whiners that feel the need to have their hands held by the Junckers of this world.

Let's hope they are STILL as happy when their children lay into them when their conscription papers for the EU Army land on the doorstep a few years hence.

You must be overjoyed - after all, it's what you voted for.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          You must be overjoyed - after all, it's what you voted for.

Have another go.....see if you can get hold of the correct end this time.

This fiasco has come about as a result of spineless politicians giving too much credence to sulky bedwetters and their endless temper tantrums over the last 2-3 years.

So I expect we will get the sort of dog's dinner that we deserve, bearing in mind that the nation's spirit and backbone seems to have largely dissolved over the last couple of decades.

Well done.....why not celebrate by updating your white flag collection?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Have another go.....see if you can get hold of the correct end this time.

This fiasco has come about as a result of spineless politicians giving too much credence to sulky bedwetters and their endless temper tantrums over the last 2-3 years.

So I expect we will get the sort of dog's dinner that we deserve, bearing in mind that the nation's spirit and backbone seems to have largely dissolved over the last couple of decades.

Well done.....why not celebrate by updating your white flag collection?

It was predicted by the clever Remainers that the cretinous Brexiteers would just blame everyone else after screwing up the country. And so it came to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              It was predicted by the clever Remainers
              What "clever Remainers"?? Scarcer than rocking horse tulip!!

Comment

The thing is, regardless that it was apparently written by a first-year law student, like everything else written by Brexiters it fails to address two key issues:

1. We’ve been told constantly by Brexiters that there are solutions to the border problem, mainly technological solutions. Either:
                a. There are solutions, in which case the backstop is exactly as intended and it will never need to be used; or
                b. There are no solutions and the Brexiters have been lying (again).

2. Like every other Brexiter response to anything, it never offers any actual solutions. Brexiters have had two years to come up with a solution, putting it down on paper, so that people say “oh yeah, man, they’re right, this would work”. But they haven’t. All that’s been produced in two years is a steaming pile of dog turds from the ERG that was never spoken of again.

You voted for it, you own it.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  You voted for it, you own it.
                  I think you'll find that everyone who voted for it expected a competent government to handle the exit.
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                    I think you'll find that everyone who voted for it expected a competent government to handle the exit.
                    If the government is made up of incompetents then you’ll need to blame those that voted for them. It’s the will of the people. They didn’t just elect themselves, you know.

Given the tightrope that had to be walked between killing off the freedom of Brits to move anywhere within the EU27 while at the same time trying to protect the big business and farming donors to the Tory party, I’d say we have the best agreement that we’re going to get. Hats off to Mrs May for achieving what many thought was impossible.

Comment

Working...
                    X