• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp duty revenue in England down 10% on a year ago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty revenue in England down 10% on a year ago

Government revenue from stamp duty on property sales fell by a tenth in the third quarter of 2018 compared with the same period last year, with the Treasury’s coffers now likely to fall more than £1bn short of earlier forecasts.

Behind the fall lies a big reduction in stamp duty for first-time buyers, introduced in November 2017, and a moribund Brexit-hit London market, where estate agents say high taxes have “suffocated” the market.

HM Revenue and Customs said total revenue from residential property sales was £2.347bn in the third quarter of 2018, compared with £2.605bn in the same period of 2017. The number of properties sold that paid stamp duty also plummeted from 302,700 to 279,500, though this was partly because of devolution of stamp duty to Wales in April.

The figures represent are a significant reversal after years in which stamp duty receipts poured into the Treasury. Since 2008-09, when the the property market was in the grip of the financial crash, revenue from stamp duty on residential properties has more than tripled from £2.9bn to £9.3bn.

Stamp duty revenue in England down 10% on a year ago | Money | The Guardian

Tory Crap-Deal Brexit DOOM!!!

Not really massively surprising. I've got a chunk of cash that I would have stuck in a B2L, but the extra stamp duty for 2nd properties has made me think twice. Wonder how many people are in the same position.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      Not really massively surprising. I've got a chunk of cash that I would have stuck in a B2L, but the extra stamp duty for 2nd properties has made me think twice. Wonder how many people are in the same position.
      The upcoming Old Labour Govt will solve your dilemma - by relieving you from that chunk of cash...

Comment

Working...
      X