• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Up to 5,000 City jobs to go before Brexit day next March, says minister

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Only in a re-run...

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      I've worked in the City/Canary Wharf. More specifically I've worked in global financial crime including tax avoidance, money laundering and sanctions busting. However in truth I've learned a lot more from the telly. I don't know whether its because I'm old but it just seems to me the whole of the UK, the Financial Systems and the Entire World run on crime. It's just everywhere.
      I can see where you're coming from and I have contracted in a London-based foreign bank, with a minor regard to sanction lists - but to posit the UK will gear up for more crime (due to &) post-Brexit is a little over the top don't you think?

It may be generally true for NY, LO, SI - but not as a result of Brexit to increase tax-take, but rather due to greed and profit opportunities of individuals that are less than honest.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        to posit the UK will gear up for more crime (due to &) post-Brexit is a little over the top don't you think?
        You think the City will not race to the bottom if gets the slightest chance?

FCA's rule change to lure Saudi Aramco prompts criticism | Business | The Guardian
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          You got it

Comment

I've worked in the City/Canary Wharf. More specifically I've worked in global financial crime including tax avoidance, money laundering and sanctions busting. However in truth I've learned a lot more from the telly. I don't know whether its because I'm old but it just seems to me the whole of the UK, the Financial Systems and the Entire World run on crime. It's just everywhere.
            The job of your unit was to hush it all up

HTH

Comment

You think the City will not race to the bottom if gets the slightest chance?

FCA's rule change to lure Saudi Aramco prompts criticism | Business | The Guardian
              C'mon Cirrus, you're conflating;
              • illegal criminality, such as colluding (covertly) to rig the Libor Interbank rate - with,
              • changing some rules/regulations (overtly and subject to criticism etc.), that everyone can see, lobby to change, and eventually others can play by....

The FCA changing rules is not 'the City' though - it's blatantly happened as a result of a word in an ear from Government.

Yes, bankers are dirty moneygrubbers and will look for all avenues of profit, but Brexit won't cause them to be anymore unduly illegal/immoral than they were beforehand - as we have seen from all the crooks caught over the last few years...
              Originally posted by Old Greg
              I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                as we have seen from all the crooks caught over the last few years...
                London remains a safe haven for the world’s dirty cash | Simon Jenkins | Opinion | The Guardian
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

So your evidence is that the new "unexplained wealth orders" first success proves the UK is willing to put up with international crime?

its Assgoo smilie time.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X