• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What sovereign powers did the UK loose being a EU member?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sovereign powers did the UK loose being a EU member?

Just curious... Scotland cannot hold referendum without permission, therefore not sovereign. However the UK can. What sovereign powers did the UK loose as a EU member? Anyone?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just curious... Scotland cannot hold referendum without permission, therefore not sovereign. However the UK can. What sovereign powers did the UK loose as a EU member? Anyone?
    Speak English!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Make a blue passport? - No was always possible
      Make laws in Westminster? - No was always possible
      Border checks? - No was always possible
      Right to refuse and deport criminal EU immigrants? - No was always possible

Comment

Exactly. Completely befuddled every-time I read the return of sovereignty in the news.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Speak English!
          Let me help you with a translation.

Just out of curiosity, but Scotland cannot hold a referendum without permission, and therefore is not sovereign. However, the UK can. What sovereign powers did the UK lose as a result of becoming an EU member? Does anyone have some proposals?
          HTH.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What's Not To Like?

Sovereignty is the full right and power of a governing body over itself, without any interference from outside sources or bodies
            We clearly didn't have that after we entered the EU.

The fact that we didn't have it before, or won't have it afterwards, is quite irrelevant and typical of you narrow minded remainers who are always stuck in the detail.

Regaining sovereignty is clearly a good thing (even if it's not going to happen). You remainers are always fretting about whether things are true or completely fantastical.

To put it another way: we haven't got it now and we are going to change all that so ipso facto - fantastico!
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              Regaining sovereignty is clearly a good thing
              Why?
              In stead of some laws made in Brussels by hated politicians you will now have laws made by hated politicians in Westminster, why is that so important?
              For the average citizen it is not going to make any difference whatsoever (except maybe that they may lose workers rights and protection, human rights, freedom of travel and movement, health and safety rights, etc etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                why is that so important?
                Erikur, you can't run your life purely on reality.

If I eliminated all the projects I've done which were clearly self-delusional, and all the ones that were clearing up after other people's self delusion, there wouldn't be much left.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Let me help you with a translation.
                  HTH.
                  Thank you for your unsolicited interpretation - if I need your assistance in future I shall ask.

Until then, well, you know the answer to that one.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Flooding EU with chlorined chickens

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X