• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britons seem relatively relaxed in the face of Brexit apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britons seem relatively relaxed in the face of Brexit apocalypse

Before heading off for his summer break Mark Carney said the risks of a no-deal Brexit were uncomfortably high. Last week Philip Hammond warned the Treasury would take an £80bn hit if negotiations between Britain and the EU failed completely.

There is a risk to this latest manifestation of Project Fear. If the public really thinks that in eight months’ time Britain is going to be plunged into the economic equivalent of a nuclear winter, the economy will take a serious hit.

So far, though, people seem relatively relaxed and haven’t spent the bank holiday weekend stripping supermarket shelves of baked beans and bottled water. While opinion polls show that voters think – rightly – that the government is making a pig’s ear of the Brexit negotiations, the state of the economy suggests they are taking what Carney and Hammond say with a pinch of salt.

Last week’s survey of manufacturing and retail sales from the CBI were both solid, unemployment was last lower in early 1975, and the public finances smashed expectations last month with the biggest July surplus in almost two decades. If nothing else, the thought that he will have more money to play with in the autumn budget should cheer the chancellor up a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...xit-apocalypse

Real panic will start as soon as people know the truth - we will run out of coffee!!!

The Government will split at the 11th hour as TM concedes "The plan we don't have is not working and we must do what is in the best economic interests of the country, besides the vote was advisory and I've taken it under advisement and rejected it". The Tory party is destroyed and only Corbyn is left to fill in the void.

Odds on 5/3 that's what'll happen.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The Government will split at the 11th hour as TM concedes "The plan we don't have is not working and we must do what is in the best economic interests of the country, besides the vote was advisory and I've taken it under advisement and rejected it". The Tory party is destroyed and only Corbyn is left to fill in the void.

Some interesting odds

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics...rexit-specials

Comment

I'm not concerned about your mental wellbeing, than Brexit, based on the utter bollox you post everyday....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I'm not concerned about your mental wellbeing, than Brexit, based on the utter bollox you post everyday....
          If you want real utter testicles and the biggest purple helmet going, then look no further:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Filling a void with a black hole? I really can't see that ending well...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              It may not end well. It may not be what many of us want. But it's the result of sheeple believing the lies of a minority of the Tory party and voting for Brexit, then voting the same party back into power (just about) when the majority of their MPs do not support leaving the EU. I mean, how could any of that possible go t1ts up?!?

And let's face it, we all suspect Corbyn won't be good for the economy, but it's not like the Tories and their Brexit 'negotiations' are actually doing the economy much good either.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                we agree on something

But once the bad is over, utilities and railways shall be renationalised. That'll be a good thing for the UK. Got to get private shareholders out of public economic necessities. The UK must be one of the few countries I visit that spends so much money on itself and achieves nothing. Take the government to account right now on spending, what really has been achieved?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X