• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 Blokes In The Pub... Talk NO DEAL Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The sun will rise tomorrow - well, until it happens, that's just speculation and conjecture.

Some clouds have potential. And then it's actualised is a bloomin' great lightning bolt.
    typical bloody remainer completely wrong about the basics, thinking the Sun rotates around the EU. Copernicus sorted that out years ago!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's the childish bickering that gets me. This is not just economics, it's about the society we live in.

The stark truth is the manifest failure of global capitalism. I couldn't have given two shakes prior to the Tories wanting to cauterise the old wound, I'm a well paid contractor who doesn't want to rock the boat and is content with hoovering up the crumbs.

Speak to someone who doesn't or hasn't ever had that opportunity and I can completely appreciate why they feel utterly let down by the current status quo hence the vote result.

I really don't want to leave but lets not keep re-running the vote. We're going out, lets pull together and show a united front otherwise we are going to fail spectacularly.

Comment

Originally posted by compedomp View Post
        The stark truth is the manifest failure of global capitalism. .
        All you've done there is change the subject and deflect. This is not bickering. The UK leaving the EU is nothing to do with global capitalism and everything to do with jingoistic populism.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's the childish bickering that gets me.
          Yep, that's politics for you. Ever watched PMQ's? It's worse than the schoolyard.

This is not just economics, it's about the society we live in.
          Unfortunately, it's difficult to separate economics and politics from the society that we live in. Nissan didn't move to Sunderland because of the climate, as an example....

The stark truth is the manifest failure of global capitalism.
          I disagree. International rules on trade, finance, regulation and standards, etc have helped countries grow. There are issues, certainly, but not (imo) enough to throw the baby out with the bathwater. What would you replace it with?

I couldn't have given two shakes prior to the Tories wanting to cauterise the old wound,
          Neither could the rest of the country. Despite how it seems now, for the ten years prior to the referendum it ranked as an issue for around 5% of people.

I'm a well paid contractor who doesn't want to rock the boat and is content with hoovering up the crumbs.
          You're on the wrong subforum then Politics will rock your boat, even in a non-Brexit situation. Some people like it, some don't.

Speak to someone who doesn't or hasn't ever had that opportunity and I can completely appreciate why they feel utterly let down by the current status quo hence the vote result.
          Agreed. Where we may have a different opinion is that I don't believe that much if this is the fault of the EU, and that leaving the EU will not fix their complaints.

If i was to be cheeky, I'd ask what opportunities do "those people" not think that they have? According to the latest employment data we're at or near full employment, so they must have a job. Universities have moved towards user-pays, so practically anyone can get a higher education in return for a small debt. Work hard, get an education, pay back the loan, what's the problem?

Not enough work close to home? That's not the EU's problem, that's a London-centric view from Westminster.

Too many foreigners taking jobs? Not according to the employment statistics where we're fully employed, unless of course you think that the statistics are fudged to make them look better than the reality.

Immigrants taking low-paid jobs, depressing wages? This doesn't seem to be a problem for the other EU countries that have higher levels of immigration per capita, where wages have grown. This appears to be solely a UK problem (also Greece, but their internal problems are well-documented)

Changing the status quo is not going to help our regions. Sorry.

I really don't want to leave but lets not keep re-running the vote. We're going out, lets pull together and show a united front otherwise we are going to fail spectacularly.
          The vote was 48/52, there is no united front until the government can present a proposal that is vaguely acceptable to the majority of the population. Unfortunately, the government has chosen to go Hard Brexit to align with the ERG, rather than seek a consensus.

If (when) Brexit fails spectacularly it won't be due to a few whiners on an internet forum. It will be because of one or more of:
          - Brexit is a bad idea and no version of it will be better than what we currently have
          - If there is a good version of Brexit, the government is not pushing it
          - Any version of Brexit requires a plan, and A50 was triggered before anyone knew what they were doing
          - Regardless of whether there is a good Brexit and we had time, Parliament is full of chancers who don't know what they are doing anyway

Comment

lets pull together and show a united front otherwise we are going to fail spectacularly.
            As the Nazi top brass repeatedly said to the German people post Stalingrad.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
            X