• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarket chiefs warn food price rises after Brexit could cause civil unrest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Are you going to quote why he thinks it's uplifting?
    Because he thinks it shows Britain is a compassionate country.
    Of course that fits in with his right wing Tory agenda that it's not the state's problem to ensure that people don't need food banks in the first place.
    I'm a Tory (or was) and I think it is.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Because he thinks it shows Britain is a compassionate country.
      Of course that fits in with his right wing Tory agenda that it's not the state's problem to ensure that people don't need food banks in the first place.
      I'm a Tory (or was) and I think it is.
      Thank you for that.

Although I think you're being disingenuous with regards to your opinion.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        OK, he thinks it's uplifting because he believes that charities should do the job of supporting the needy, allowing the government to provide less support, while making sure that off-shore dodgy investment company owners remain untouched.

Does that make you feel better?
        Did your post make YOU feel better?, being the more pertinent question.
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

he was actually complimenting the public's charity. I am not quite sure what you expect the government to do, people will fall through the cracks and other organisations are better placed to help.

Of course if the Government ran foodbanks it would be cheaper to take those affected to the Fat Duck or the Ivy for dinner.

Here are the stats

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-a...nd-year-stats/

Universal credit seems to be the favourite issue now (it is a mess as a new implementation) . Changed from Sanctions last year.
          There seems to be a steady climb of use.

Good to see they are doing eat well for less courses, this does seem to be a factor with people I know use the foodbanks.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-w...ll-spend-less/
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The point, of course, is that after Brexit, if the experts a.k.a the supermarket bosses are correct and food prices rise, there'll be many, many more people using foodbanks.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Although I think you're being disingenuous with regards to your opinion.
              You'd be wrong, because it is in fact JRM being disingenous.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

here is the beeb's report not behind an ad wall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41264965

When challenged by a caller to LBC about the increased use of food banks, Mr Rees-Mogg argued they fulfilled a vital function.

"To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are," he said.

"Inevitably, the state can't do everything, so I think that there is good within food banks.

"The real reason for the rise in numbers is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."
                I'm not entirely in agreement with the last bit, but to be fair the conservatives did make it policy to advise people at the job centre in 2010 they weren't previously.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  here is the beeb's report not behind an ad wall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41264965

I'm not entirely in agreement with the last bit, but to be fair the conservatives did make it policy to advise people at the job centre in 2010 they weren't previously.
                  Maybe JRM will divert some of the extra profits he's going to make within the new de-regulated US style economic environment that he and his fellow Tories want to create post hard Brexit, which will cause much more demand for food banks.
                  But you know what, I wouldn't bet on it.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

In your opinion.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

In your opinion.
                      Due to the superiority complex, sas believes, his opinion = fact.
                      Originally posted by Old Greg
                      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X