• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Services

Service industry having a go now. What part of Leave don’t they get? “The People” voted for you lot to be poorer, just accept the will of the people...

https://www.ft.com/content/d9abf092-...5-50daf11b720d

A coalition of leading professional and business services organisations has handed the prime minister a list of requirements they say are crucial to preserving the £188bn sector in any Brexit deal.

The 42 signatories to the letter to Theresa May, drawn from a range of consultancy, law, architecture, engineering and advertising firms, say any deal with Brussels must ensure the mutual recognition of regulations and regulatory bodies, court judgments, professional qualifications and operating licences between Britain and the EU27.

They also want continued co-operation in areas that facilitate trade, such as data sharing, and the ability for UK-based accountants, lawyers and others to recruit freely from overseas.

Britain should also ensure employees in the sector retain “fly in, fly out” rights so that they can continue to provide short-term services to European clients or British businesses doing deals in the EU, says the Professional and Business Services Council, which acts as an advisory body to the UK’s business department.

Without these arrangements, the council says Brexit will hamper the activities of the sector and therefore damage the operations of the businesses that depend on it. It estimates that exported services are worth £66bn annually.

The council’s members include the “big four” accountants, management consultancies, top law firms and a range of other businesses, as well as industry bodies and interested parties such as the Law Society, the Royal Institute of British Architects and the City.

Nick Owen, the council’s business chair and chairman at Deloitte for northwest Europe, added: “There has been a lot of discussion around goods [in the Brexit negotiations] and for understandable reasons, such as the Irish border issue.

“But we want to make sure services aren’t missed . . . The services we provide to both the UK and the EU 27 are important for the wheels of commerce to turn.”

According to the council, the combined professional and business service providers account for 11 per cent of the economy, more than the manufacturing sector.

“Failing to negotiate these elements in a final deal would impair our ability to provide our services with the same range, depth and speed our clients around the world experience today, damaging their business and putting our sectors at a distinct competitive disadvantage,” the council said in the letter to Mrs May.

It states that the various elements of professional and business services support 4.6m jobs in the UK and serve as “an enabler” for the wider economy. “We are a key reason why people the world over come to transact and resolve disputes in our country.”

42 people said this?

My god we are doomed....

or was it 42 people with a vested interest in staying in the EU as leaving may affect them personally and quite frankly they could not give a flying **** about anyone else?

Comment

Services

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      42 people said this?

My god we are doomed....

or was it 42 people with a vested interest in staying in the EU as leaving may affect them personally and quite frankly they could not give a flying **** about anyone else?
      Yep, 42. Presumably though they weren’t 42 PSC owners and they run real businesses with employees. Like, you know, “the big four”.

But carry on missing the bigger picture. It’s not drawn in crayons for you.

Comment

**** business.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Yep, 42. Presumably though they weren’t 42 PSC owners and they run real businesses with employees. Like, you know, “the big four”.

You show me a CEO who gives a fook about anything but lining his/her own pocket and I will show you my dick.

Should I explain it to you with crayons?

They are using your fear of change and the unknown to control you so they can continue to rule you.

Comment

You show me a CEO who gives a fook about anything but lining his/her own pocket and I will show you my dick.

Should I explain it to you with crayons?

They are using your fear of change and the unknown to control you so they can continue to rule you.

At least Jacob cares about you.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

If the big four failed, contracting would be booming. Just leaving that as a Post-It on the side of your Etch-a-Sketch for you.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                At least Jacob cares about his hedgefunds
                FTFY

Comment

In order for the CEO to line their own pockets then they need to be able to do business therefore if this farce called Brexit is going to hinder that, then they're going to be against it...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    If the big four failed, contracting would be booming. Just leaving that as a Post-It on the side of your Etch-a-Sketch for you.
                    Eh? That makes no sense, could you explain?

If the big four failed (unlikely) businesses would still need accountants. But there would now be thousands of recently-unemployed accountants to select from.

Their point was that they would lose the ability to directly sell services into the EU. They would adapt, of course, by setting up or enlarging their EU base (as companies like AIG and EasyJet already have). That would move that portion of the tax base overseas.

Any contractor opportunities (if there are any?) would only benefit those able to sell their services into the EU. I.e. Non-UK-only European citizens.

Comment

Working...
                    X