• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Services

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Services"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Yeah right, because there are no other large companies with inept consultants that will fill the gap.

Do you really believe that large companies would prefer a hundred individual consultants over a single supplier with an international name, and that they would be rubbing their hands if their big supplier went bust?

(I know what the answer should be and I agree that it should be the first one, but the reality is that it is generally the second one)
    I'm talking more about contractors benefiting from extra budget being available, especially at the rate the big four charge. Not going to happen because the Big Four will make sure that it doesn't behind the scenes in any case.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    What?? are you implying he was a bit dim?
    I would say more that he was angry. The bizarre stuff around gay marriage was associated with a feeling that the London liberal elite had had its way for too long and this was a way of giving them a kick.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I haven't spoken in a while to the only declared Brexiteer that I know. I expect he's delighted that millions of Turks haven't moved to the UK now that Turkey joined the EU in 2017. I don't know what he makes of the fact that men can still marry their boyfriends, which was one of the other main reasons he was pro-Brexit.
    What?? are you implying he was a bit dim?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    The few people I know who voted for Brexit are the type who are disinclined to dig into the detail. They tend to be happy-go-lucky/it'll-all-be-alright-in-the-end people. They didn't know what Brexit actually meant at the time, they don't know now, and they don't particularly care.
    I haven't spoken in a while to the only declared Brexiteer that I know. I expect he's delighted that millions of Turks haven't moved to the UK now that Turkey joined the EU in 2017. I don't know what he makes of the fact that men can still marry their boyfriends, which was one of the other main reasons he was pro-Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I don't think Brexiteers actually know what Brexit means
    The few people I know who voted for Brexit are the type who are disinclined to dig into the detail. They tend to be happy-go-lucky/it'll-all-be-alright-in-the-end people. They didn't know what Brexit actually meant at the time, they don't know now, and they don't particularly care.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Services

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The point is, and I'm not surprised you've missed it, is that without the Big Four, there wouldn't be parasitic teams of inept consultants hoovering up massive amounts of budget that could be used for contractors. There would be far more apprentice-wannabes than accountants out on the dole. HTHBIDI
    Yeah right, because there are no other large companies with inept consultants that will fill the gap.

Do you really believe that large companies would prefer a hundred individual consultants over a single supplier with an international name, and that they would be rubbing their hands if their big supplier went bust?

(I know what the answer should be and I agree that it should be the first one, but the reality is that it is generally the second one)

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Eh? That makes no sense, could you explain?

If the big four failed (unlikely) businesses would still need accountants. But there would now be thousands of recently-unemployed accountants to select from.

Their point was that they would lose the ability to directly sell services into the EU. They would adapt, of course, by setting up or enlarging their EU base (as companies like AIG and EasyJet already have). That would move that portion of the tax base overseas.

Any contractor opportunities (if there are any?) would only benefit those able to sell their services into the EU. I.e. Non-UK-only European citizens.
    The point is, and I'm not surprised you've missed it, is that without the Big Four, there wouldn't be parasitic teams of inept consultants hoovering up massive amounts of budget that could be used for contractors. There would be far more apprentice-wannabes than accountants out on the dole. HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    You show me a CEO who gives a fook about anything but lining his/her own pocket and I will show you my dick.

Should I explain it to you with crayons?

They are using your fear of change and the unknown to control you so they can continue to rule you.
    Take the crayons out of your nose first.

A CEO who cares about anything but? There’s plenty of them out there, especially those in charge of medium-sized local enterprises with small local workforces.

I don’t want to see your dick though.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I don't think Brexiteers actually know what Brexit means

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    If the big four failed, contracting would be booming. Just leaving that as a Post-It on the side of your Etch-a-Sketch for you.
    Eh? That makes no sense, could you explain?

If the big four failed (unlikely) businesses would still need accountants. But there would now be thousands of recently-unemployed accountants to select from.

Their point was that they would lose the ability to directly sell services into the EU. They would adapt, of course, by setting up or enlarging their EU base (as companies like AIG and EasyJet already have). That would move that portion of the tax base overseas.

Any contractor opportunities (if there are any?) would only benefit those able to sell their services into the EU. I.e. Non-UK-only European citizens.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    You show me a CEO who gives a fook about anything but lining his/her own pocket and I will show you my dick.
    In order for the CEO to line their own pockets then they need to be able to do business therefore if this farce called Brexit is going to hinder that, then they're going to be against it...

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    At least Jacob cares about his hedgefunds
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yep, 42. Presumably though they weren’t 42 PSC owners and they run real businesses with employees. Like, you know, “the big four”.

But carry on missing the bigger picture. It’s not drawn in crayons for you.
    If the big four failed, contracting would be booming. Just leaving that as a Post-It on the side of your Etch-a-Sketch for you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

They are using your fear of change and the unknown to control you so they can continue to rule you.

At least Jacob cares about you.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Yep, 42. Presumably though they weren’t 42 PSC owners and they run real businesses with employees. Like, you know, “the big four”.

But carry on missing the bigger picture. It’s not drawn in crayons for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X