• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where’s the border this week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I do chuckle that the term West Brit is still used. Just correct their mistake and write 'C-, could try harder' in red at the bottom of the page. It's the ones the change it to 'The North' you need to watch.
    Unfortunately they do pay my Ltd's bills. I did have quite an argument with someone over it, just on factual terms.

I've not had anyone try to 'correct' to 'the North' in writing, b

But it's sometimes used in conversation in meetings etc.

It would be much easier if everyone used terms correctly as follows:

'Ireland' for the island (or 'island of Ireland' where it may cause confusion)
    'Ireland' for the state (or 'Republic of Ireland' where it may cause confusion, but not 'Irish Republic' as some UK news outlets do or 'Southern Ireland', both of which are historical terms, or 'Éire' in the same way that we do not say 'Italia' in English)
    'Northern Ireland' for the province of the UK
    'Ulster' for the nine northern counties of the island of Ireland
    'Great Britain' for the island

I don't know what the answer is for 'British Isles'. I avoid the term. People seem to be playing fairly nicely around 'Derry' and 'Londonderry'. I avoid the term like the plague and have been known to use the term 'Altnagelvin local catchment area' in work meetings with a cross-border attendance.

'West Brit' is pretty offensive but I get away with it if I use the term playfully. I'm yet to hear the term 'the Hun', except from my dear wife of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      I'm sure there is - certainly amongst the Sinn Fein voting morons who see "Brexit" as a back door to a unified Ireland.
      Good Morning Ireland is the equivalent of the Today programme. Very establishment and not at all Sinn Féin.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Good Morning Ireland is the equivalent of the Today programme. Very establishment and not at all Sinn Féin.
        Considering the gains that Sinn Fein have made in local elections I would suggest that there may be 1 or 2 SF voters who also watch GMI.

Z - In "Nice use of the fada" - mode...
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Considering the gains that Sinn Fein have made in local elections I would suggest that there may be 1 or 2 SF voters who also watch GMI.

Z - In "Nice use of the fada" - mode...
          You missed the fada.
          People listen to Good Morning Ireland, rather than watch it.
          I was talking about amusement on Good Morning Ireland - the presenters. They don't come across as very SF to me.

Apart from that, keep up the good work.

Comment

There are further options:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              You missed the fada.
              People listen to Good Morning Ireland, rather than watch it.
              I was talking about amusement on Good Morning Ireland - the presenters. They don't come across as very SF to me.

Apart from that, keep up the good work.
              I thought I recognised the writing style. Back to using Old Greg, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                North south?

East west?

Somewhere vaguely in the middle, like a Korean DMZ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tus-1.3516051?
                Not surprised Davis has come up with an imaginary border just about everything else he has negotiated is.
                Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  I thought I recognised the writing style. Back to using Old Greg, eh.
                  You know how it is. Her ladyship's busy setting up the gammon trade for Operation Stack.

Comment

...aaaaand, No 10 has shot it down.

For all her faults (and there are many) May has the patience of a saint with Davis. He must be wondering just how incompetent he needs to be before she’ll sack him.

Comment

Working...
                    X