• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to offer new immigration deal to the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Please quote the exact section of the page you linked to which disagrees with the UK government (not me), with regard to your opinion that people coming to study are economic migrants.
    Wrong link and therefore organisation, oops my bad, haha

https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/definitions

but here's some more links for you to take your pick;

Who Counts as a Migrant? Definitions and their Consequences - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=1562
    ^^ this refers to the UN;
    "long-term immigrants are non-residents or persons who have arrived for a length of stay of more than one year but have not yet continuously lived in the country for more than one year."
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Wrong link and therefore organisation, oops my bad, haha

but here's some more links for you to take your pick;

Who Counts as a Migrant? Definitions and their Consequences - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=1562
      ^^ this refers to the UN;
      "long-term immigrants are non-residents or persons who have arrived for a length of stay of more than one year but have not yet continuously lived in the country for more than one year."
      Still unable to find a link that refutes the government and lumps those who come to study with those who come seeking work.

Go back and read your original post (unless you've edited it)

You quoted a source as saying:
      Those asylum seekers are counted among the estimated 600,000 immigrants to the UK in the 12 months to September 2016, most of whom come to work or study."
      You then declared:
      So, (39000/~600000)*100 = 6.5% of estimated immigrants applied for asylum, the rest are economic.
      All I have asked you to do is explain why you disagree with the government (but have decided that I am making up government websites).
      Are the >317,000 student migrants who come here economic migrants (like you claim) or not (like the government and the fullfact page you link to say)

Your post contradicted itself, all that was asked was for you to clarify which contradiction you had decided was right.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Still unable to find a link that refutes the government and lumps those who come to study with those who come seeking work.

Go back and read your original post (unless you've edited it)

You quoted a source as saying:

You then declared:

All I have asked you to do is explain why you disagree with the government (but have decided that I am making up government websites).
        Are the >317,000 student migrants who come here economic migrants (like you claim) or not (like the government and the fullfact page you link to say)

Your post contradicted itself, all that was asked was for you to clarify which contradiction you had decided was right.
        So, in this link;

it states;
        "Migrant

While there is no formal legal definition of an international migrant, most experts agree that an international migrant is someone who changes his or her country of usual residence, irrespective of the reason for migration or legal status. "

In this link;

it states;
        "Definitions of ‘migrant’ vary among different data sources, and between datasets and law. Among other possibilities, migrants may be defined as foreign-born, foreign nationals, or people who have moved to the UK for a year or more."

and also states that;
        "Length of stay: In its analyses of migration flows into and out of Britain, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) uses the UN definition of ‘long-term international migrant’: “A person who moves to a country other than that of his or her usual residence for a period of at least a year [….] so that the country of destination effectively becomes his or her new country of usual residence”."

HTH
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

So, in this link;

it states;
          "Migrant

While there is no formal legal definition of an international migrant, most experts agree that an international migrant is someone who changes his or her country of usual residence, irrespective of the reason for migration or legal status. "

In this link;

it states;
          "Definitions of ‘migrant’ vary among different data sources, and between datasets and law. Among other possibilities, migrants may be defined as foreign-born, foreign nationals, or people who have moved to the UK for a year or more."

and also states that;
          "Length of stay: In its analyses of migration flows into and out of Britain, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) uses the UN definition of ‘long-term international migrant’: “A person who moves to a country other than that of his or her usual residence for a period of at least a year [….] so that the country of destination effectively becomes his or her new country of usual residence”."

HTH
          Still not answered your contradiction.
          You used the term ECONOMIC migrant when referring to students.
          I challenged you on the use of ECONOMIC. Since then you've failed to provide any link that says "all student migrants are economic migrants".
          Now, maybe it's just another one of those pesky mistakes which changes your figure of 93.5% down to 41%, so maybe that's why you don't want to answer.

My original post quoted your unedited original, you then edited your original to include a quote from darmy, where you highlighted the word economic.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/uk-refugees/

"In 2016, there were around 39,000 applications for asylum in the UK. That’s including dependant family members of the main applicant. Those asylum seekers are counted among the estimated 600,000 immigrants to the UK in the 12 months to September 2016, most of whom come to work or study."

So, (39000/~600000)*100 = 6.5% of estimated immigrants applied for asylum, the rest are economic (93.5%).

Yes, see above
          HTH
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Still not answered your contradiction.
            You used the term ECONOMIC migrant when referring to students.
            I challenged you on the use of ECONOMIC. Since then you've failed to provide any link that says "all student migrants are economic migrants".
            Now, maybe it's just another one of those pesky mistakes which changes your figure of 93.5% down to 41%, so maybe that's why you don't want to answer.

My original post quoted your unedited original, you then edited your original to include a quote from darmy, where you highlighted the word economic.
            https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...ta=&gws_rd=ssl

economic migrant
            noun: economic migrant; plural noun: economic migrants
            a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

What are students hoping a degree will give them?

HTH
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
            X