• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Positive Brexit Story II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    If it does happen then I'm sure the roaming charges will be reciprocated.

But I'd think that competition amongst providers to offer the best package will ensure the costs are low or even zero. When I was in the US last year ( which, I don't believe is in the EU ) my roaming charges were minimal and entitled me to use my UK data and calls.

You might not have heard of this, but there's this thing called "WiFi". It's pretty cool, its a near-ubiquitous offering throughout Europe and the UK. You can get it in hotels, in restaurants, pubs, cafes and in lots of public places and spaces. Lots of places offer it because it's a lure. Two coffee shops to choose from? I'd pick the one with WiFi.

I cannot remember the last time I paid for WiFi.

WhatsApp anyone?
    I live in Switzerland. Current rates for unlimited roaming are around £100 a month - for voice/SMS, includes 4GB data. As someone who is regularly around Europe, yes, there's plenty of free wifi available, but it is by no mean ubiquitous.

Sorry to be a downer on your fantasy, but these are the facts for living in a non-EU country.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The fact is the Swiss depend on the fact that they can pop over to the EU to get decently priced goods. In Switzerland only certain things are reasonably priced, other things are horrendously expensive. This is purely because it isn't in the EU. I worked in Luxembourg for a while, which is similar to Switzerland in many respects and everything was much simpler and goods reasonably priced.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The fact is the Swiss depend on the fact that they can pop over to the EU to get decently priced goods. In Switzerland only certain things are reasonably priced, other things are horrendously expensive. This is purely because it isn't in the EU. I worked in Luxembourg for a while, which is similar to Switzerland in many respects and everything was much simpler and goods reasonably priced.
        You obviously haven't had the pleasure of being stopped by Swiss customs at the German border.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          You obviously haven't had the pleasure of being stopped by Swiss customs at the German border.
          I have, going into Switzerland. They wanted to know how much money I had on me and were rather disgusted when I replied "about 80 Euros!"
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            I have indeed, on many occasions

Firstly there is an allowance so you can do your weeks food shopping. Obviously for larger items you have to pay Swiss VAT but it is still a lot cheaper. German VAT is refunded or not charged as most shops will arrange it and deliver for you.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Switzerland is in EFTA, so what tariffs would cease if they were in the EU? My (limited) understanding is that Swiss retailers charge more "just because they can". Even Swiss watches are more expensive in Switzerland than Germany, yet Swiss VAT is only 8%. I'm guessing part of the reason is the strength of the CHF, and they would never give that up to join the Euro, so I'm not convinced by your conclusion.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Switzerland is in EFTA, so what tariffs would cease if they were in the EU? My (limited) understanding is that Swiss retailers charge more "just because they can". Even Swiss watches are more expensive in Switzerland than Germany, yet Swiss VAT is only 8%. I'm guessing part of the reason is the strength of the CHF, and they would never give that up to join the Euro, so I'm not convinced by your conclusion.
                This is how it was before the CHF was high. You are right it's all part of what happens when you throw up the barriers. Exceptions are electrical goods and petrol.

Going to a supermarket in Switzerland requires taking along your financial advisor. Norway's the same which is why they all pile over to Sweden to do their shopping.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X