• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ambitious managed divergence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambitious managed divergence

Government agrees on Brexit plan

So basically the UK will relabel everything and make some non-meaningful minimal changes to the regulations to show that they've asserted their sovereignty.

I'm alright Jack

You sound terribly bitter about this (I'm shocked ), but it would be an ideal outcome. There's no point changing regulations that work. We'll diverge as needed through mutual recognition and an appropriate dispute resolution mechanism. Mutual recognition, not equivalence. This is significant. However, I really can't see the EU swallowing it. They will instead argue that it involves "cherry picking" of regulations. Indeed, they've already done so. However, there's very little space in between mutual recognition with an independent dispute resolution mechanism and WTO terms (if they don't accept this approach).

Comment

Oh dear....

Tory rebels and Labour join forces to shove a Customs Union down the government's throat

Guten appetit

I'm alright Jack

Comment

JC has spoken.

Labour policy is for "a" customs union.

oh dear, oh deary me

be afraid

be very afraid

I'm alright Jack

Comment

To be precise, his support is for “a” customs union in which none of the rules of being in “a” customs union apply.

I am listening live. You, OTOH, are apparently listening to the pre-announced spin.

Corbyn is awesome, really. I can’t imagine any other configuration of Parliament that has a better chance of delivering a clean break.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            To be precise, his support is for “a” customs union in which none of the rules of being in “a” customs union apply.

I am listening live. You, OTOH, are apparently listening to the pre-announced spin.

Corbyn is awesome, really. I can’t imagine any other configuration of Parliament that has a better chance of delivering a clean break.
            Indeed Hard Brexit on track, well done....

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Nigel Farage froths at the mouth as he fears Brexit betrayal

Listening to LBC this morning there seems to be much "frothing at the mouth".

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Nigel Farage froths at the mouth as he fears Brexit betrayal

Listening to LBC this morning there seems to be much "frothing at the mouth".

What does he expect after sucking off the American far right?

Comment

The Tories and Labour now have an ambitious managed convergence on cake and eating it.

Comment

A key difference is that the Tories want to be in "a" customs arrangement that gives them complete freedom to negotiate trade deals, "cake and eat it". Labour is prepared to betray the will of the peoplecompromise.

The EU would have no problem with this, it would be the same as the deals with the Ukraine or Turkey.

That's why the Brexiteers are getting "agitated".

In the end after very complex negotiations the FTA will run to many pages, filling more than one book shelf and looking awfully like the deal with Switzerland.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X