• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First round of post-Brexit subsidies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    There is a myth that "country folk" like holding on fox hunts. The truth is the landed gentry go on fox hunts. The landed gentry control and run the countryside to suit themselves, they love writing letters to their lease holders what they can and can't do on their land. They refuse to build and maintain public pathways, cycle paths or anything that might hold up their huge SUVs up on the way to the Fox hunt or pheasant hunts which benefits no-one but the local Lord of the manor and his buddies. My mother hears complaints from villagers who talk about the dead hand of the landowners hanging over it.

When I visit the countryside I've never been attacked by a fox.
    I live in the countryside and have done for most of my life, but OPM considers me a townie.

Not everyone who lives outside of towns votes Tory/UKIP.
    Not everyone who lives outside of towns thinks chemicals are better than natural solutions to fertiliser, pesticide, etc.
    Rural living is great if you're prepared to work with nature, not against it.

A lot of the country estates are still run the way you describe. There's one close to me where the townie tories come out to shoot pheasant, and after shooting them the carcasses are buried.
    That's right - the townie tories refuse to take their killings away because they are too lilly-livered to know how to prepare and cook one. So, come to the countryside, kill a couple of birds, go home. It's not difficult to shoot a pheasant, there's little to no skill involved, but what these wastrels do is just kill for the fun of it, then run home.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      What hunt us down and kill us - last time I looked that was tried twice in the 20th century and did not work then.

but I suppose 3rd times a charm?
      I don't recall the EU doing that but as you seem to live in a parallel universe then maybe they did
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        There is a myth that "country folk" like holding on fox hunts. The truth is the landed gentry go on fox hunts. The landed gentry control and run the countryside to suit themselves, they love writing letters to their lease holders what they can and can't do on their land. They refuse to build and maintain public pathways, cycle paths or anything that might hold up their huge SUVs up on the way to the Fox hunt or pheasant hunts which benefits no-one but the local Lord of the manor and his buddies. My mother hears complaints from villagers who talk about the dead hand of the landowners hanging over it.

When I visit the countryside I've never been attacked by a fox.
        i live in london and i see foxes every day, skittish animals, but i suppose they might attack small children, or anything, if cornered.
        they're becoming a right PITA, i have to say, and hunting them with horses and dogs MAY cause some traffic disruption, especially in the rush hours

Comment

This is quite interesting, about caps on subsidies. Seems the UK applies a cap on payments to farmers in NI, Scotland, and Wales, but not in England. Wonder why that is?

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/...ig-landowners/

EU rules allow Member States to cut substantially so-called “basic payments” under the CAP to large landowners, such as most of those cited in the Greenpeace report, by applying an upper limit (ceiling). Nine Member States do so.
          In the UK, such a ceiling is applied in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales – with the resulting funds generated remaining in those regions for rural development projects.
          The UK chooses not to apply a ceiling in England.

Comment

Working...
          X