• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland lucky not to join EEA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Doris-Leuthard

It is undisputed in economic research that free trade of capital, goods, ideas and services is enough to increase prosperity for all.

In order for ideas to be exchanged, we do not need the absolute freedom of movement that the EU demands of us.

So what is the difference between being in the EEA and Switzerland's agreement with the EU, because they seem to be remarkably similar.

At the end of the day the UK will have to sign some trade deal with a trading block and that will mean signing up to a whole load of regulations no-one likes and visas being handed out like confetti.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So what is the difference between being in the EEA and Switzerland's agreement with the EU, because they seem to be remarkably similar.

At the end of the day the UK will have to sign some trade deal with a trading block and that will mean signing up to a whole load of regulations no-one likes and visas being handed out like confetti.
      I wish I could say you are going to wrong. But I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Indians, Bangladeshi and Pakistani are already lining up, MCGA! (Make the Commonwealth great again)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Doris-Leuthard

It is undisputed in economic research that free trade of capital, goods, ideas and services is enough to increase prosperity for all.

In order for ideas to be exchanged, we do not need the absolute freedom of movement that the EU demands of us.
          I can't figure out if the article is deliberately misleading, taking words out of context, or simply lying.

Wiki is clear enough:

These negotiations resulted in a total of ten treaties, negotiated in two phases, the sum of which makes a large share of EU law applicable to Switzerland. The treaties are:

Bilateral I agreements (signed 1999, in effect 1 June 2002)
          • Free movement of people
          • Air traffic
          • Road traffic
          • Agriculture
          • Technical trade barriers
          • Public procurement
          • Science

Bilateral II agreements
          • Security and asylum and Schengen membership
          • Cooperation in fraud pursuits
          • Final stipulations in open questions about agriculture, environment, media, education, care of the elderly, statistics and services.
          From the perspective of the EU, the treaties largely contain the same content as the EEA treaties, making Switzerland a virtual member of the EEA. Most EU law applies universally throughout the EU, the EEA and Switzerland, providing most of the conditions of the free movement of people, goods, services and capital that apply to full member states. Switzerland pays into the EU budget and extended the bilateral treaties to the new EU member states, just like full members did, although each extension requires the approval of Swiss voters in a referendum.
          Still, the comments sections are always good for a laugh.
          Last edited by meridian; 3 January 2018, 17:04.

Comment

Working...
          X