• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Millenium Bug 2.0 pencilled in for 31/12/2020 - kerching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millenium Bug 2.0 pencilled in for 31/12/2020 - kerching

EU says Brexit transition to end by 31 December 2020 - BBC News

Transition phase to get all those IT systems ready. Fill yer boots.

Got a while to identify what system changes they'll be needing so can be on call when the panic sets in during 2020, if not before.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

I bet the UK will import loads of foreigners to do the work. Or outsource it....

Comment

Wonder if I'll have to go in and test the photocopier again

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I bet the UK will import loads of foreigners to do the work. Or outsource it....
        Nah, Brown Stuff will be out from under his rock to promote British jobs for British workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...h-jobs-workers

Was only 8 years ago and the people (well 51% of them) have spoken.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just one example of the IT work to come.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...exit_it_plans/

Almost half of Defra’s work streams (20), the programmes created to support Brexit, have an IT element. Many of these IT components are still being scoped, and could range from minor updates to entirely new systems, said the report.
          Expect many more public sector systems needing radical overhaul or replacement. With the skills shortage and guaranteed panic as they waste most of the transition period planning by committee, contractor rates to actually deliver the changes will increase to more than offset the IR35 tax and expenses trap.

Will have to think about what 'for dummies' books to read over crimbo, to reposition as an 'expert' when the demand ramps up.

Comment

Loads of work until the end of 2020, followed by a massive recession.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Loads of work until the end of 2020, followed by a massive recession.

Fab. So all the moolah we pocket during the transition panic, we can then use to mop up cheap assets that the over leveraged offload to keep a roof over their head and food on their table.

It's looking like a perfect storm is brewing. I'll have sugars in mine.

Comment

I think in many instances the work will simply entail throwing the off switch and humping everything into a removal lorry.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Can't just turn off the 'cloud'.

Requires months of planning and weeks of implementation, all slowed down due to them already outsourcing everything, so need to go through layers and layers of 'staff' to get anything done.

Lots of tea and biscuits while being paid a massive day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I think in many instances the work will simply entail humping everything.
                    Where is MTT when you need him?

Comment

Working...
                    X