• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU leaders agree to move talks onto next stage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit: EU leaders agree to move talks onto next stage - BBC News
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Boooooo.

Comment

So the UK will leave in 2019 without a trade deal but having to comply with all EU regulations, and then commence the negotiation for the trade deal.

Of course this negotiation will only take two years

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Does anyone know what the timetable is?

Discussions start in mid-March.
        When do they need to be complete to get through the various ratifications before March 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Does anyone know what the timetable is?

Discussions start in mid-March.
          When do they need to be complete to get through the various ratifications before March 2019?
          There won't be a trade deal, there will be a "political declaration" with some vague details. The only things that needs ratification is the divorce deal and possibly the transition arrangement.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            There won't be a trade deal, there will be a "political declaration" with some vague details. The only things that needs ratification is the divorce deal and possibly the transition arrangement.
            But the transition arrangement needs to be ratified or its cliff edge into WTO. When does that need to be agreed before going to ratification?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              There won’t be any trade negotiations starting yet, for the simple fact that the UK government doesn’t yet have a clear and aligned policy on what they want. They can’t negotiate for something vague and undefined.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                But the transition arrangement needs to be ratified or its cliff edge into WTO. When does that need to be agreed before going to ratification?
                October 2018 the plan, I think (from memory, might be wrong there).

There’s also noise coming from the EU that they would be open to extending the A50 timeframe past March 2019, assuming that May drops the amendment to put this date into law.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/eu-co...mpression=true

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  October 2018 the plan, I think (from memory, might be wrong there).

There’s also noise coming from the EU that they would be open to extending the A50 timeframe past March 2019, assuming that May drops the amendment to put this date into law.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/eu-co...mpression=true
                  Should be doable in that timeframe. After all: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-human-history

Comment

Full agreement guidelines are here:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/media...delines-en.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X