• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bexit Lie No. 672: Fishing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farage; Sunday Morning on LBC repeatedly mentioned that leaving the EU would mean that the UK could have “ a 200 mile fishing limit in the North Sea, excluding the English Channel”. Apart from the English Channel is not in the North Sea, there is nowhere in the North Sea where 200 miles would not infringe on another countries “200 mile” fishing limit. If each county surrounding the North Sea claimed their own territory, the UK would be left with mainly a 50 mile limit stretching up to 175 miles for less than 2.5% of the area.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

This is the same Farage that sat on the EU Fisheries Commission, and only turned up to 3 out of 47 meetings, including critical meetings that gave away the UK fishing?

Comment

No it was his twin brother
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        This is the same Farage that sat on the EU Fisheries Commission, and only turned up to 3 out of 47 meetings, including critical meetings that gave away the UK fishing?
        So an EU committee has the power to give away UK fishing does it?

Or do you mean some kind of proposal, that was then voted on by MEPs? (In which case, the UK was outvoted in each of the critical votes?)
        https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/press-...ection-poster/

Look at the numbers at the bottom, and you will find the UK was powerless to stop it.

As you were.
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

In the Cod Wars when I were a lad, I could never believe Iceland could take apart the RN.

It seems it was the USA who forced us to lose - the worry was that Iceland would side with USSR.

When is the UK going to grow a pair?

Comment

It was 1 out of 42, I guess the other 2 were drinks parties for him.

Although if he never bothered to turn up to debate the issues and never bothered to turn up to vote on them, what exactly was he doing apart from wasting tax payers money?
            If politicians don't go to parliament and actually engage in debate and voting, then it is not the parliament's fault that the politician is a useless failure at his job.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In the Cod Wars when I were a lad, I could never believe Iceland could take apart the RN.

It seems it was the USA who forced us to lose - the worry was that Iceland would side with USSR.

When is the UK going to grow a pair?
              Brexiteers already siding with and paid by Putin, so US was right

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                So an EU committee has the power to give away UK fishing does it?

Or do you mean some kind of proposal, that was then voted on by MEPs? (In which case, the UK was outvoted in each of the critical votes?)
                https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/press-...ection-poster/

Look at the numbers at the bottom, and you will find the UK was powerless to stop it.

As you were.
                More, or less, powerful to stop it than if we had had our paid representative providing arguments and debate in the pre-read committee meetings?

Comment

More, or less, powerful to stop it than if we had had our paid representative providing arguments and debate in the pre-read committee meetings?
                  Depends if those in the meeting even care to listen to any arguments, if there are gains to be had from 'taking away' the UK fishing eh?

Did you see the numbers of MEP votes?

I doubt all UK MEPs abstained or voted against the motions, but the majority wins (and by that, everyone but UK fishing it would appear)
                  Originally posted by Old Greg
                  I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    No it was his twin ugly brother
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X