• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit divorce bill (part 94) - I'd like to know...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    The same as what will happen if we DON'T leave with a good deal only with different timescales.

Shaun, I meant if we leave with a good deal, how many others will want to leave under the same terms? Or to put it another way, they are screwed because who's going to pay Juncker's bar bill when everyone's fooked off?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Shaun, I meant if we leave with a good deal, how many others will want to leave under the same terms? Or to put it another way, they are screwed because who's going to pay Juncker's bar bill when everyone's fooked off?
      I know what you meant and I was agreeing with you. But whether we leave with a good deal or not, the whole EU vanity project is doomed to failure anyway as there are too few capable of paying in, and too many that require handouts.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I know what you meant and I was agreeing with you. But whether we leave with a good deal or not, the whole EU vanity project is doomed to failure anyway as there are too few capable of paying in, and too many that require handouts.
        Wrong as usual. The Czech and Polish economies are fast converging on the EU norm:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/o...a.html?mcubz=1

The only risk of the EU failing is if Germany decides it doesn't want to continue subbing the rest.
        But the Germans always look long-term and they know developing the rest of Europe is a win-win situation: larger markets for them right on their doorstep and more stability on the continent.
        Would have been a win-win situation for us too if the country wasn't infested with poorly-educated morons like you.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Wrong as usual. The Czech and Polish economies are fast converging on the EU norm:
          Yeah, a race to the bottom.

The only risk of the EU failing is if Germany decides it doesn't want to continue subbing the rest.
          Nuff said.

But the Germans always look long-term
          Yeah....how IS that 1000 Year Reich coming along?

Would have been a win-win situation for us too if the country wasn't infested with self-opinionated poorly-educated Dunning-Kruger afflicted morons like me.
          FTFY

HTH BISDI

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The EU have actually clearly stated they should simply pay all the obligations they agreed to, nothing more, nothing less. They're waiting for a yay/nay.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...ement_en_1.pdf

This is actually a very simple negotiation but the British government ministers are as thick as pig sh*t

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Don't worry there will be one. If the UK keeps dithering it will be a bloody big one as well.

Lets get this straight - you believe we need to agree to an ever increasing invisible number based on malice before we discuss anything else and you are trying to suggest we are as thick as pig sh*t? There aren't words in AssGuru's vocabulary that can describe a mental nonentity like you.

Barmy Barnier is complaining our team don't know what they are doing!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Lets get this straight - you believe we need to agree to an ever increasing invisible number based on malice before we discuss anything else and you are trying to suggest we are as thick as pig sh*t? There aren't words in AssGuru's vocabulary that can describe a mental nonentity like you.

Barmy Barnier is complaining our team don't know what they are doing!
              But they don't.

The bloody secretary of state in charge of them is a feckwit so when they negotiate and sort something out he comes out with a new idea so they have to start again.

I guess you haven't worked in UK government before on "special" projects for a secretary of state?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The side that gives the figure first loses a negotiating advantage.

Regardless of the amount, if the UK gives a figure the EU will say "Too little" and negotiate up.

Regardless of the amount, if the EU gives a figure the UK will say "Too much" and negotiate down.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  The side that gives the figure first loses a negotiating advantage.

Regardless of the amount, if the UK gives a figure the EU will say "Too little" and negotiate up.

Regardless of the amount, if the EU gives a figure the UK will say "Too much" and negotiate down.
                  UK £5

Sorted!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If there is currently no figure then why are the UK moaning about the figure: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-do-not-add-up
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      If there is currently no figure then why are the UK moaning about the figure: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-do-not-add-up
                      Moaning? Here, darmy, you owe me €1,000,000. Oh, you don't think so? Just stop moaning.

Per the article you cite, it seems there is no figure. The UK are contesting (it says) the basis on which a figure might be derived

...EU claims over liabilities, which are reputed to be about €75bn, although Barnier has never cited a figure.... Numbers were not on the table during the latest talks.

So, some sort of answer to my original question "this is what you owe and why" seems to be that they're sorting out the why before the how much. This seems reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                      X