• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post Brexit Travel to Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Paddy, I agree with your word "hope" as it means it's something which can be negotiated as part of the Brexit process, rather than another negotiation to take place at a later (or possibly earlier) stage. It's a shame that the UK's negotiators are of a similar skill level to some of the posters on here, who turn angry when they read things they don't understand, or just respond with smilies.

Michel Barnier: I think we should talk about trade
    David Davis: Michelle is a girls name :lol
    MB: OK, then how about the Open Skies agreement
    DD: Well, you need to pay us for that because all your flights fly over the UK to get to the US.
    MB: Firstly, no they don't, and secondly it's an agreement about flying in the US as well, but hey ho, if you don't want to talk about it, maybe we can go on to something else...

Indeed the debate in the UK has been brought down to an infantile level by the Eurosceptic tabloid press.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You are weird.

He was just reporting a news story.

There are already long delays for non- Schengen area citizens at EU airports and this should get rid of them.
      Thanks - I do try extra hard on here.

I appreciate he/she/xhe is just quoting a news story but it is the 'nah nah nah told you so' attitude that goes with it - almost implying that this story is now the only truth out there but there has been no thought really behind what that would actually mean in the longer term and how workable it is.

A lot of southern european states rely heavily on UK tourism - in fact especially those who are often called out as struggling financially such as Greece, Spain and Italy.

So this idea that the 'EU' will suddenly make it a lot harder and more expensive for UK citizens to travel there just makes no sense - and if the EU tried to pass some laws/rules doing this would obviously see those states voting vigorously against that.

And finally if you did deeper it is just another story about the EU (or actually Germany) 'taking their football home' because they cannot play striker - it's just like watching a ten year old spoilt child in a playground.

Comment

Paddy, I agree with your word "hope" as I am as tediously dreary and negative as you are. Not forgetting that the default position for any true Bremoaner is that of assuming the worst in any given set of circumstances. It is a shame that not all of the posters on here are equally restricted when it comes to adopting a negative spin on all things Brexit! Did I mention that I am also a perenially whiny kn0bjockey too?
        ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          So this idea that the 'EU' will suddenly make it a lot harder and more expensive for UK citizens to travel there just makes no sense - and if the EU tried to pass some laws/rules doing this would obviously see those states voting vigorously against that.
          And some people seem to think (based on the propaganda they believe), that everything the EU does is purely to annoy/upset/punish the UK, even though this was all talked about in the run up to the referendum.
          These changes do not just affect the UK.
          These changes are not just about Brits going on holiday.
          Not every single person that travels to Europe does so to go on holiday.
          Strange as it may seem, there are actual contractors on this forum, contractors who travel for work.
          Permies, pensioners and scroungers on here might only go to Ibiza for their annual holiday, but some of us earn money and pay tax on those earnings while travelling abroad.

As I've said before, the UK had all the opportunities it wanted to tighten its borders while TM was in charge of the Home Office, but she refused to do so. UKIP and others then convinced many that the the UK could not do anything about its borders because of the EU. Doesn't matter that was a flat out lie, many believed it. Some EU countries have now tightened their borders, and the propaganda machines in the UK are telling their listeners that this is the EU deliberately doing this to punish the UK.
          They told their listeners that the UK are victims because the EU won't let us do anything about out borders.
          They now tell the same listeners that the UK are victims because other EU countries have done something about their borders.

As long as people keep reading/listening to the propaganda that the poor UK are victims, always being victimised by the evil EU, as long as those poor ickle snowflakes keep believing the propaganda, then there is no hope for them (and unfortunately little hope for the rest of us, since the Original Snowflake generation are the majority in this country (based on newspaper sales, at least)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

blah blah blah piss, wind, hot air, blah tantrum blah
            :

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Post Brexit Travel to Europe

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              ftfy

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              :

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Or in English: Thanks for your replies, they prove my point quite clearly.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And some people seem to think (based on the propaganda they believe), that everything the EU does is purely to annoy/upset/punish the UK, even though this was all talked about in the run up to the referendum.
                These changes do not just affect the UK.
                These changes are not just about Brits going on holiday.
                Not every single person that travels to Europe does so to go on holiday.
                Strange as it may seem, there are actual contractors on this forum, contractors who travel for work.
                Permies, pensioners and scroungers on here might only go to Ibiza for their annual holiday, but some of us earn money and pay tax on those earnings while travelling abroad.

As I've said before, the UK had all the opportunities it wanted to tighten its borders while TM was in charge of the Home Office, but she refused to do so. UKIP and others then convinced many that the the UK could not do anything about its borders because of the EU. Doesn't matter that was a flat out lie, many believed it. Some EU countries have now tightened their borders, and the propaganda machines in the UK are telling their listeners that this is the EU deliberately doing this to punish the UK.
                They told their listeners that the UK are victims because the EU won't let us do anything about out borders.
                They now tell the same listeners that the UK are victims because other EU countries have done something about their borders.

As long as people keep reading/listening to the propaganda that the poor UK are victims, always being victimised by the evil EU, as long as those poor ickle snowflakes keep believing the propaganda, then there is no hope for them (and unfortunately little hope for the rest of us, since the Original Snowflake generation are the majority in this country (based on newspaper sales, at least)
                If you removed the European Parliament and left in place the EAA what would the difference be?

The main problem with what the EU has become is that to justify themselves they have to keep trying to 'rule' like a government and to do that you have to be seen to be 'rewarding' those who subject to the rule of your government and conversely therefore 'not rewarding' or 'punishing' those who are not.

The EU has a huge stake in trying to make out the the UK will be worse off without them and they are not satisfied with just waiting and seeing what happens as it is in their best interests to ensure that the UK is seen to be worse off.

They are not doing this for the benefit of the citizens of the EU they are doing it for their own personal gain.

And that is what I find incredibly repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Thanks - I do try extra hard on here.

I appreciate he/she/xhe is just quoting a news story but it is the 'nah nah nah told you so' attitude that goes with it - almost implying that this story is now the only truth out there but there has been no thought really behind what that would actually mean in the longer term and how workable it is.

A lot of southern european states rely heavily on UK tourism - in fact especially those who are often called out as struggling financially such as Greece, Spain and Italy.

And finally if you did deeper it is just another story about the EU (or actually Germany) 'taking their football home' because they cannot play striker - it's just like watching a ten year old spoilt child in a playground.
                  Actually what it will do is make those places rely on tourism cheaper and therefore more people from those countries that are in the EU go there instead of the expensive UK. What the **** this has to do with Germany is anyone's guess, mind you if the UK hadn't been 'whinging Poms' for the past few decades it could have been them being the power broker in the EU, think about that. The only people to blame for all this, is the UK themselves
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Or in English: "I am still a dreary twunt, and will continue to display this by throwing my toys out of the cot with metronomic regularity"

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Actually what it will do is make those places rely on tourism cheaper and therefore more people from those countries that are in the EU go there instead of the expensive UK. What the **** this has to do with Germany is anyone's guess, mind you if the UK hadn't been 'whinging Poms' for the past few decades it could have been them being the power broker in the EU, think about that. The only people to blame for all this, is the UK themselves
                      We harbour no desire to rule over Europe or the World - which is why we disbanded the Empire.

Something which cannot really be said about Germany given the history of the past hundred years or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X