• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU court ensure 32 vetoes on Brexit trade deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU court ensure 32 vetoes on Brexit trade deal

Have we done this one yet?

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu...--finance.html

"Nicole Kar, head of international trade at law firm Linklaters, described the ECJ case as the most significant on EU trade policy for 20 years and said it would have "huge ramifications" for a future UK-EU deal.

Britain, she said, would need to decide if it wanted a more modest agreement likely to be backed or the most comprehensive deal possible that risked falling hostage to member states."
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Looks like a "quagmire" in the making.

Basically the EU is simplifying everything to only aiming for an exit deal i.e. the "bar bill" and the fate of EU/UK nationals; the trade deal negotiations will begin after the UK has left the EU and it is a "third country"

It looks like the UK will be offered a unilaterally dictated transition arrangement designed to protect the EU's interests.

Certainly getting interesting.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      It looks like the UK will be offered a unilaterally dictated transition arrangement designed to protect the EU's interests.
      Erm, and whose interests should EU be protecting - own members or third country? All entirely predictable, that's why May went for election to get extra 2 years in power.

Comment

2017-05-17 European judges clear path for a speedy post-Brexit trade deal by giving EU leaders the power to pass a free trade agreement by majority vote

The European Court of Justice said Brussels can ratify complex trade deals

It was feared Brexit talks could be stalled by various national parliaments

The ECJ said unanimity is only required in two fairly niche trade deal areas
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Angela Merkel in the German parliament has just stated that if there is no "Freedom of Movement" Britain will pay a price.

Lets face it FOM will be part of the deal, even if watered down a bit.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 May 2017, 16:24.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu...--finance.html

"Nicole Kar, head of international trade at law firm Linklaters, described the ECJ case as the most significant on EU trade policy for 20 years and said it would have "huge ramifications" for a future UK-EU deal.

Britain, she said, would need to decide if it wanted a more modest agreement likely to be backed or the most comprehensive deal possible that risked falling hostage to member states."
            Er, I think so
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Angela Merkel in the German parliament has just stated that if there is no "Freedom of Movement" Britain will pay a price.
              Lets face it FOM will be part of the deal, even if watered down a bit.
              Nope, it won't be - May put everything at stake on anti-immigration stance, she will just blame EU for "punishing UK", that's all - big painful spending cuts are yet to kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Er, I think so
                No, I don't think so.

sas's post that started this thread, and the article he cited, was obviously intended to imply that EU countries' votes had to be unanimous, no doubt hoping to convince and thus worry casual readers this was such a stringent condition it would be impossible to meet.

But, as the article I cited made clear, in fact nearly all the relevant decisions will require only majority voting.
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 17 May 2017, 17:27.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  as the article I cited made clear, in fact nearly all the relevant decisions will require only majority voting.
                  Careful OH, you will have them rocking backwards and forwards in their safe spaces if you keep presenting facts to them.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Nope, it won't be - May put everything at stake on anti-immigration stance, she will just blame EU for "punishing UK", that's all - big painful spending cuts are yet to kick in.
                    It will be freedom of movement under another name.

May has been reading Thatcher biographies.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X