• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ..., I'm beginning to think it hardly matters what sort of Brexit takes place of even no Brexit - we've bred so many thickos with an aggrieved sense of entitlement, the relative decline of the country is all but guaranteed.
    FTFY

I've thought that for years. But apparently considering the majority of the rest of your fellow countrymen to be a bit fick is undemocratic.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Your analogy of large consultancy for the last 5 years is not comparable with EU membership for 40 years, and the benefits occurred with membership.
      A better analogy would be giving up on a local consultancy and going through an 8 year recruitment process for a consultancy several thousand miles away with much less business.

Lets face it Liam Fox started out promising the UK to become "a beacon of free trade" and replacement trade deals worth far more than the EU in 2 years when he was appointed, trekked around the world only to be told by Australia, Canada and the USA they would only begin negotiations after the UK has actually left and by India to issue hundreds of thousands of work visas to smooth over the negotiation process
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        FTFY

I've thought that for years. But apparently considering the majority of the rest of your fellow countrymen to be a bit fick is undemocratic.
        Would you like to withdraw one person one vote?

Comment

Even the undisputed reigning champion village idiot of CUK, GB9, posted on here the other day that he wants a "Medium Brexit" whatever the fook that is.
          Feck me, I'm beginning to think it hardly matters what sort of Brexit takes place of even no Brexit - we've bred so many thickos, the relative decline of the country is all but guaranteed.
          American has far more thickos than the UK and they do very nicely thank you. And are about to do a whole lot better under Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            American has far more thickos than the UK and they do very nicely thank you. And are about to do a whole lot better under Trump.
            America is a little behind the Uk in the historical great power decline cycle.
            It's still has the world's reserve currency so many things are still possible.
            But I have no doubt you are right.
            Trump's going to borrow tulip loads and build bridges and roads in the midwest that aren't going to be used for anything.
            Shame about future generations who'll have to pay though.
            Jam today, tulip tomorrow.
            In the UK, now we've left the EU, it's tulip today and tulip tomorrow.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

This is good news for a number of EU nationals I know. They have held off buying a house because of the uncertainty.

Home Office trials faster residency application after Brexit - Business Insider

European Union citizens may get a fast-tracked application process for permanent UK residence as early as next year

The Home Office has been trialling a new application system that has cut waiting times from months to weeks for some EU nationals seeking residency.

The programme, which includes a new online application form, was rolled out to a group of 20 companies in the summer and has been expanded to include some individuals and their families this week, according to the FT.

The faster application process is a response to the rapid increase in European nationals applying for UK residency in the wake of the Brexit vote in June.

Around 3.5 million nationals are living in the UK and face uncertainty over their future status.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Trump is a different phenomenon to Brexit. It is simply a change of government, firstly he'll be constrained by Congress and the Senate and secondly a lot of stupid stuff he does can be reversed. Brexit is just a rather idiotic irreversible act of self harm.

As Mathew Parris wrote, Britain until now has made all the right decisions and done the right things historically. Brexit is the first time in its thousand year history it got something fundamentally wrong. This is comparable with the sort of wrong decisions the Germans kept taking in their several hundred year history.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

This article has an interesting take on hard Brexit and what it would entail:

U.K. Weighs Cost of Brexit Nuclear Option - WSJ
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Would you like to withdraw one person one vote?
                    My vote has already been withdrawn - out of the country too long.

But I rather like the idea Nevil Shute proposed in his novel "In the Wet" (1953), where everyone gets one vote, but you can do various things to earn extra votes.

Everyone gets a basic vote. Other votes can be earned for education (including a commission in the armed forces), earning one's living overseas for two years, raising two children to the age of 14 without divorcing, being an official of a Christian church, or having a high earned income. The seventh vote is only given at the Queen's discretion by Royal Charter.

However, my favourite would be Pratchett's "One man, one vote", where I am the one man, and I have the one vote.

Strange how some people still accuse me of being left wing.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

America is a little behind the Uk in the historical great power decline cycle.
                      It's still has the world's reserve currency so many things are still possible.
                      But I have no doubt you are right.
                      Trump's going to borrow tulip loads and build bridges and roads in the midwest that aren't going to be used for anything.
                      Shame about future generations who'll have to pay though.
                      Jam today, tulip tomorrow.
                      In the UK, now we've left the EU, it's tulip today and tulip tomorrow.
                      And I thought the world's reserve currency was the London house market.

Comment

Working...
                      X