• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old mobile phones and captial expentiture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvolutionSPM View Post
    ...snip...

HMRC have approved this.

Stuart
    Out of interest, who pays the bill? Does YourCo pay the bill directly? If so, and the phone really is only used for business purposes, then this is allowable even if the contract is in your name (see the exception I posted earlier). This might be why HMRC have said it is allowed. But if you're paying the bill and the company is just reimbursing you, then this should still really be treated as earnings. There is no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      If it is the companies you need to determine the length of time over which company assets are depreciated (you have to declare this as part of your accounts, as company director you are in apposition to set policy on this).
      Many companies operate a policy whereby depreciated kit is offered to employees for a nominal amount or free. If you have had the phone for two years and the companies depreciation policy writes it off after two years then the net value to the company is Zero and you can legitimately give it to yourself at zero cost provided the disposal is properly recorded.
      This assumes the item was capitalised in the first place of course.

Also, even if an asset is fully depreciated in the company's books that doesn't mean it has no second-hand value. Assets given to directors/employees at less than market value can still potentially incur a BIK.

I doubt HMRC would argue the toss over a phone as the second-hand value is likely to be negligible but for more expensive assets (e.g. laptops) its worth bearing in mind. The second-hand value of the asset would need to be reported on a P11D, less any money actually paid for the asset.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a...nsferred.htm#2

The company will also have to charge VAT on any sale of an asset if VAT registered. Additionally, if you are on the flat-rate VAT scheme and you originally reclaimed the VAT on the asset as it was part of a single purchase over £2k, then you must report the VAT on the sale of the asset at the full rate on your VAT return, rather than as part of your flat-rate turnover.
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 30 June 2014, 14:03.

Comment

The phone is with o2.
        -Can't be in companies name, as new company with no credit history.
        -Registered in my name (100% shareholder/director) and at the companies registered address.
        -Will move to companies name as earliest opportunity - already done.
        -My company stationery, CV, linkedin, etc quotes the work number
        -I have a basic pay as you go mobile and keeping top-up receipts as evidence. I switch off the work one at weekends/holidays.
        -The company needed a phone number and for various reasons can't use the home phone. Also not good when traveling for interviews/client site etc.
        -I needed to access emails/linkedin/internet/cv updates whilst on the move.
        All of these are irrelevant as far as HMRC's expenses manual and guidance (and the law) are concerned.

-To cover my access of personal internet (bbc news, facebook,etc) on the move, I reimburse the company 10% per month.
        That's not what you said you were doing - you said that you had a personal contract and the company paid 90% of it. Does the company pay 100% and you then repay 10% or is it as you described?

HMRC have approved this.
        That's the only relevant information that you need - as long as HMRC have agreed that you can deviate significantly from the way that expenses should be processed, then you are golden. I hope you got it in writing, though - make sure you keep it safe because what you are doing deviates significantly from what HMRC publicaly say and the law around this area, so if there was an investigation then you would need to show how the way you operate has been given clearance / dispensation from HMRC.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          That's very, very, very bad advice. If the contract is in the name of the individual, then you can claim the cost of business related calls. Nothing else.

I hope he's better at one of these jobs than he is on giving accurate advice on the taxation of mobile phones.

The company should never have paid any of the line rental. With such a fundamental fault in the expenses you have claimed, I suspect that an old handset would be the least of your worries.

Fire your accountant, and find someone who knows what they are doing. Or ask him to prove how his advice is correct, given the HMRC employee expenses guidelines.
          "I hope he's better at one of these jobs than he is on giving accurate advice on the taxation of mobile phones."

Difficult not to conclude that he makes his 'main' living from mobiles!

Comment

Please bear in mind that you (can) have different calculations for accounting and tax purposes. For example, you can capitalise and depreciate the phone for accounting purposes but deduct the whole amount in calculating the Corporation Tax payable....👿
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
            X