• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Breakdown Cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Breakdown Cover

Just looking at the RAC website to get a quote as my AA has elapsed and noticed that have a "Business Club" which works our very good value compared to the normal RAC site, (£139.99 Customer v £142 business but that includes european cover too which is £104 extra for consumer)

Worse case I can put it through in MyCo's name but pay for it myself so it doesn't touch the company books, but it got my thinking could it be a legitimate expenses? If I can't get to work I can't get paid!
    Camnomis : Service Transition Consultants

No, you don't NEED to incur the cost in order to trade. You want to because you don't want to break down, but that's your personal choice.

If you claimed for everything that enabled you to get to work then you'd be claiming for absolutely everything. A good rule of thumb is to think about whether an old permie employer would have paid for something for you - if they'd laugh and refuse, then chances are you can't claim it through your own company either. The tax rules are the same, just because you own the company you work for it doesn't mean you can claim more.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      No, you don't NEED to incur the cost in order to trade. You want to because you don't want to break down, but that's your personal choice.

If you claimed for everything that enabled you to get to work then you'd be claiming for absolutely everything. A good rule of thumb is to think about whether an old permie employer would have paid for something for you - if they'd laugh and refuse, then chances are you can't claim it through your own company either. The tax rules are the same, just because you own the company you work for it doesn't mean you can claim more.
      Thanks
      Camnomis : Service Transition Consultants

Comment

<yawn>

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RA...ss&safe=active
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We went over this a few months ago on here; in short, it might be possible for YourCo to buy breakdown cover and it be an allowable deduction for the purposes of corporation tax, as long as you can show its wholly and exclusively for business purposes. Buying it for a company car would probably be OK; simply providing it as a benefit to yourself as company director would probably be enough to make it allowable (as most employee remuneration and benefits are).

However the key thing is its likely to be a BIK which means declaring the value of the benefit and paying NI and possibly tax on the benefit. About the only time I could see this not being a benefit is if the cover is for a company fleet vehicle that an employee doesn't have available for personal use.

Finally, you couldn't pay for it personally and claim the cost from YourCo either as even if you passed the "wholly and exclusively" test (which is still unlikely), you'd also have to meet the "necessarily" test too which as Clare pointed out, you wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Camnomis View Post
            Just looking at the RAC website to get a quote as my AA has elapsed and noticed that have a "Business Club" which works our very good value compared to the normal RAC site, (£139.99 Customer v £142 business but that includes european cover too which is £104 extra for consumer)

Worse case I can put it through in MyCo's name but pay for it myself so it doesn't touch the company books, but it got my thinking could it be a legitimate expenses? If I can't get to work I can't get paid!
            How much driving in continental Europe do you do on company business?
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Given that you can get breakdown cover for £59 including European cover, why would you bother?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Given that you can get breakdown cover for £59 including European cover, why would you bother?
                TF nailed it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X