• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting money out of Ltd co I'm leaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Do those two statements not contradict each other?
    If you put it like that.... what I mean is I'd rather not take a big tax hit by taking it all out in one go. If I put the money into NewCo then draw it down in salary and dividends over time (as I would if it was still in OldCo) I'm still paying tax but just not in one fell swoop and spread over a few tax years. The added benefit is that the NewCo also has some cash reserves at the start.

All I really want to do it keep the money in the business rather than extract it all.... clearly an unreasonable demand!

Comment

Originally posted by achillea View Post
      If you put it like that.... what I mean is I'd rather not take a big tax hit by taking it all out in one go. If I put the money into NewCo then draw it down in salary and dividends over time (as I would if it was still in OldCo) I'm still paying tax but just not in one fell swoop and spread over a few tax years. The added benefit is that the NewCo also has some cash reserves at the start.

All I really want to do it keep the money in the business rather than extract it all.... clearly an unreasonable demand!
      This is all fair enough, but the scheme you propose still potentially results in a CGT charge on your gain from giving away the shares to NewCo.

Can the shareholders of OldCo not buy you out? You'd still have to pay CGT potentially but you might be eligible for ER which would reduce the rate to 10%. This seemed to be what you were discussing originally. Is it still not an option?

Comment

That was the original idea although my accountant thinks there is a very good chance that HMRC would disallow the ER due to all the assets being cash... not sure I understand that but couldn't find anything to this effect when I looked on the HMRC site.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I just carry on taking my money out of OldCo at normal drip rate and I can have it all out early in the next tax year. Not a clean break but might just be the easiest thing.. and I don't get any unwanted spikes in earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by achillea View Post
          That was the original idea although my accountant thinks there is a very good chance that HMRC would disallow the ER due to all the assets being cash... not sure I understand that but couldn't find anything to this effect when I looked on the HMRC site.
          There is the theory that a company with large cash balances would be seen as an investment company, and therefore not entitled to ER. That's a theory though, and I've not heard of it being challenged in Court. My personal view is that if the cash balances result from trading and you're not actively managing them to get a return, you'd be OK. If you're investing the cash and have a lot of income from interest then that may be effecting the advice you're getting from your own accountant.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            There is the theory that a company with large cash balances would be seen as an investment company, and therefore not entitled to ER. That's a theory though, and I've not heard of it being challenged in Court. My personal view is that if the cash balances result from trading and you're not actively managing them to get a return, you'd be OK. If you're investing the cash and have a lot of income from interest then that may be effecting the advice you're getting from your own accountant.
            I'd agree completely with this! I was actually on a tax conference just last week and the speaker quoted that pretty much word for word and went as far as saying he had read a HMRC update stating the same. However, I've been unable to find that update. I believe the OP is talking about ~£80k so I don't think that would be considered 'large' by HMRC anyway in this respect.

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Out of interest (to anybody who knows the answer): I find it hard to believe that dividends received by a company that owns shares in another company aren't taxed in some way. We all know how dividends are taxed from an income POV but what happens when the shareholder is a corporation? It seems strange to me that you could transfer shares to NewCo (and as Martin says, even if you transfer them for nothing, you're likely to be assessed for CGT on the full market value of your shares) and then declare a dividend which NewCo receives tax free.

I appreciate you'll still get taxed the same whether you draw dividends from NewCo or OldCo and are just trying to find a tax efficient way of transferring your capital in the old business to the new one, but this doesn't seem right to me.
            Dividends are tax free in the hands of corporations, they are 'Franked Investment Income' so not taxed to avoid double taxation. The initial company paying the dividend has already paid corporation tax on that profit so it shouldn't be taxed again. They are grossed up and used in working out your corporation tax rate though i.e. if you are eligible for small companies rate so paying large dividends between companies could, in some circumstances, increase the companies corporation tax liability.

Martin
            Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
              Dividends are tax free in the hands of corporations, they are 'Franked Investment Income' so not taxed to avoid double taxation. The initial company paying the dividend has already paid corporation tax on that profit so it shouldn't be taxed again. They are grossed up and used in working out your corporation tax rate though i.e. if you are eligible for small companies rate so paying large dividends between companies could, in some circumstances, increase the companies corporation tax liability.

Martin
              Contratax Ltd
              Martin - thanks a lot for answering my question. TIL, as they say...

Comment

Right, I've spoken to both accountants and have decided to leave the money where it is and draw down from it as usual in pension/salary/dividends whilst building up reserves in NewCo when I start my next contract.

The proposal of a share-for-share exchange should work although this would need to be cleared by HMRC and there is always the risk that they would not accept it. My old accountant says that although the shares are categorised as ‘A’ and ‘B’ shares, this only allows you to pay different rates of dividends and there is no separate allocation of the capital value of the two businesses to the separate category of shares. It could therefore be argued that there is a value to your share in OldCo, represented by the underlying value of the two businesses and not just the reserves that you have stripped out. The only way to protect against this is to seek agreement from HMRC on the valuation. This can be done on a ‘post transaction ‘ basis for which there is a formal HMRC procedure. It is hassle but it does give you certainty and is not guaranteed.

Dividends paid by one company to another would not be liable to corporation tax as earlier post described.

I don't think I fancy raising attention with HMRC and as I haven't fallen out with business partner I'll just have to live with it for another year.

Many thanks for the contributions.

Comment

Sounds like the simplest, most pragmatic approach to me. Focus on building up your new company's profits and treat any dividends received from the old company as a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                  X