• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cannot pay VAT/PAYE due to Director's Loan - Need Advice !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Of course the co can write it off. Triggers a tax charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Of course the co can write it off. Triggers a tax charge.
      To the Director? If so, the OP can easily pay it off with the expected profits from the shares.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Both are quite likely. If hmrc dont accept a repayment plan they can force admi istration. The admistrator will be forced to call the loan and issue bankruptcy proceedings.
        yup as a company director you need to call in the loan. Companies fail all the time and with liabilities to HMRC and the VAT man and that is accepted. However if you don't call the loan in then the liquidator's report will cite the company director as being negligent and you will be banned. Not good.
        Sell the car.
        Pay it off.

Comment

EIM21741 - Particular benefits: loans written off: special rules

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          To the Director? If so, the OP can easily pay it off with the expected profits from the shares.
          I guess there is also some form of interaction with the ct paid 9 months after year end.

Comment

Both are quite likely. If hmrc dont accept a repayment plan they can force admi istration. The admistrator will be forced to call the loan and issue bankruptcy proceedings.
            For now, my intention is to pay it off within the next few months and i am fairly optimistic about my stock returns and getting a job by October.

If HMRC will simply send reminder letters and default notices as per penalty guidelines, then i'd rather keep quite and focus on finding means to repay them or should i contact them and let them know my situation?

What do you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by deeniguy View Post
              For now, my intention is to pay it off within the next few months and i am fairly optimistic about my stock returns and getting a job by October.

If HMRC will simply send reminder letters and default notices as per penalty guidelines, then i'd rather keep quite and focus on finding means to repay them or should i contact them and let them know my situation?

What do you suggest?
              What does the reminder letter say to do? The website says that if you cannot pay, they recommend calling them and discussing the problem, rather than ignoring them.

You need to hope that the stocks return to a level that means you can repay them the VAT money and the interest that is accruing on it, or you get a role that pays significantly more than your last one and is outside IR35 so that you can take the money out of the company without incurring a tax and NI liability.

Have you paid the NI yet, or is that still to come?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What do you suggest?
                Definitely contact them
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

You shouldn't even be considering ignoring them. The best chance you've got of any leniency is contacting them and explaining your situation and coming to an arrangement to make payment as soon as possible.

Have you even looked into the possibility of taking out a personal loan to cover this? It obviously depends on your credit situation so it might not be possible but personal loans aren't that expensive right now...I'd rather be in debt to my bank than the VAT man, personally.

Comment

What do you suggest?
                    So you're relying on the VAT man being as incompetent as you?

Good luck with that strategy...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you are planning on ignoring them, at least make sure you file an accurate VAT return. The penalties for not doing this are significantly worse than just not paying, eg. a deliberate and concealed error that you only disclose when HMRC prompt you for the facts gives rise to a penalty of between 50 and 100% of the amount due.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X