• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experiences on switching accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He also used to be a director of a company called RBS Enterprise Ltd which just happens to have it's head office in Bonnington Bond. Dunno if that is a coincidence or not.

ROSHON JUDGE SINGH director information. Free director information.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manubbo View Post
      Clare, I completely see your point and I agree that sometimes workload is an issue. But I wouldn't say to a client that things will be handled shortly while for all the three returns I submitted so far I had to chase them, and I waited for two weeks I'd been happy if they told me that their workload was heavy and there could be delays. After all you must trust your accountant and what better than transparency helps to gain trust? We're all professional and we know that sometimes workload may cause issues.

The guy from the firm I'm considering replied saying that they could possibly take care of the switch for the current year for me. If it wasn't for the replies here I wouldn't think about asking him... thanks for having shared your experience.

That said - I completely agree with what somebody said previously (on the phone so can't check the author!) about not bad mouth the (maybe soon to be) old accountant. Things don't always work for different people but that doesn't mean they are necessarily incompetent or whatsoever.
      2 weeks just to get a flat rate scheme VAT return done! After you have taken all that time to complete the spreadsheet! That is totally unacceptable and unprofessional. A simple flat rate scheme VAT return should be done on the same day as the submission of the spreadsheet (or worst case scenario the next day). Anyway, who still uses spreadsheets for bookkeeping in 2014? If you were on Free Agent the VAT figures appear in the VAT section immediately at the end of your bookkeeping for the quarter. Free Agent also prepares dividend vouchers which should be kept together with your personal tax data.

I don't think you are dealing with an accountancy business. It sounds like you are dealing with a sweat shop, i.e. 1 person dealing with 200+ clients who simple can't handle the workload and is drowning.

Sir, I would strongly recommend that you change firm before things get worse. If I was you I would move accountants who can deal with your returns (VAT, RTI, annual, corporation, self assessment, P11D, etc) promptly. Ideally get your new accountant to do the old year (because you will not be a priority for your old accountant; they couldn't even be bothered to offer you a good service while you were a loyal fee-paying client). Imagine how bad your old accountant will be now that your leaving. You certainly do not deserve this treatment as you are paying their salaries. If your old accountant fails to hand over any of your information approach their professional body immediately.

Not all accountants are that bad. I hope your new accountant restores your confidence in the profession.

Comment

What's an accountnant?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X