• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reimbursing backdated expenses after giving notice? Please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're 'earning' £6k a month, but only taking £3k as a salary,keeping the rest is a safety net, then you must feel you need it.

If you need it, then how can you possibly afford to leave £20k unclaimed for three years? That's 7 months net salary! It's proposterous.

"Hi, I don't really know you and I probably can't trust you, but I have £20k of my own money in this suitcase. Can you look after it for me for three years and I'll get it back from you, then? If I can be bothered".

Ridiculous.

Comment

Of course, the company is on the official Tier 2 sponsor list. They do employ an accredited immigration adviser and brief people like me very thoroughly on how to work within the law. Which is why I am not worried about my status and annoyed by some ignorant comments above.

I did not claim expenses immediately because I wanted to build a large reserve pot. That would allow them to keep employing me should something unexpected happen, like long illness, or should my contract earnings fall short of my set salary.

The reimbursment of expenses does come separate from the salary.

Now I have taken a permanent position in another company, getting a new work visa, so there is no way back. I have given my notice two days ago so the final payment has not been made.

But it never occured to me that legitimate claimable expenses may stop being such because of something in the future, especially such an ordinary thing as changing jobs.
      Last edited by brother52; 14 May 2014, 13:46.

Comment

You could have a try searching on Immigrationboards.com . There is quite a bit on there about Umbrellas and sponsored visas. I couldn't find the anything particular as my blood boils after the first few threads so gave up looking.....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brother52 View Post
          I did not claim expenses immediately because I wanted to build a large reserve pot. That would allow them to keep employing me should something unexpected happen, like long illness, or should my contract earnings fall short of my set salary.
          You would have been better to claim the expenses when they were incurred and then not paid salary for that time. Or taken both out since it wouldn't affect your tax position and stick your money in a bank account which bears interest. However, that horse has long bolted.

But it never occured to me that legitimate claimable expenses may stop being such because of something in the future, especially such an ordinary thing as changing jobs.
          Was the quote you had earlier not from your employer, then?
          At the point that you resign, or advise your Umbrella Payroll Company that you will be leaving at the end of your current assignment then your temporary work place will be deemed to be a permanent workplace, from the point of the decision or disclosure, then no further travel and subsistence claims cam be put through.
          If it was, then you only really have yourself to blame for the situation - if you cannot follow the expenses procedure specified by your employer, then you cannot blame them when something that you didn't expect to happen does.

As has been said a number of times now, if your employer will not reimburse these as expenses (and there is no reason why they should if you haven't followed their processes), then you will need to get them to pay the money as salary, and then when you complete your self assessment tax return, you will need to claim the tax and national insurance back from HMRC.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This quote is not from my employer. It is from some umbrella company's guidance, the only relevant clarification I managed to google up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If they don't reimburse, I will look into HMRC route.

Comment

This whole arrangement has 'dodgy' written all over it!!

No way the OP will see any money, they'll consider it their fee for taking the contract and 'employing' the OP. That's how these body shops work, seen it time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                This whole arrangement has 'dodgy' written all over it!!

No way the OP will see any money, they'll consider it their fee for taking the contract and 'employing' the OP. That's how these body shops work, seen it time and time again.
                They have confirmed that in the worst case scenario they will pay out my reserve pot as a taxed bonus with my last payroll.

Comment

They have confirmed that in the worst case scenario they will pay out my reserve pot as a taxed bonus with my last payroll.
                  Who have?
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Taxed at 45%? Ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      Taxed at 45%? Ouch
                      You'd be able to claim the tax back from HMRC if you could show that they were expenses incurred legitimately in the course of travel to a temporary place of work, though.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X