• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send wrong amount in invoices for a few months.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You not following their procedures might given them reason to not pay you on time, but it doesn't give them reason not to pay you at all.

Send an invoice for the outstanding amount. Then follow up with a solicitor's letter after 30 days with the threat of interest etc. It will only cost you a couple of quid.
    100% what VM said. Couldn't have put it better myself.

They owe you the money. What would help your cause is if you have the following to hand:
    • The contract with the daily rate that you should have invoiced at
    • The timesheets for the period you mis-invoiced
    • Copies of your invoices

TBH, it's best if you do have copies of the timesheets, but if you don't, they will and they will be obliged to follow them. I would write a firm letter (but polite and ultra-professional) along the lines already suggested. Apologise for the inconvenience once again, but reiterate that the money is outstanding. Have you already raised an invoice for the outstanding amount? If not, attach the invoice and ensure that payment terms are no less than 30 days (you have to be reasonable here).

Yes, you made a mistake in the invoicing, but that doesn't mean they don't owe you any money. Having been on the opposite side of you (paying back nearly £5K that I over-invoiced, several months after the work had finished), I'm very comfortable with how it works.

Just remember: polite and professional. Don't add human emotions into the letter; don't say "it's not money to you" or anything like that. But be firm as well. That is your LtdCo's money after all.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I thought money was exactly what it was?

A lot of people might just say "oh, okay then" and not fight it. That's why they're trying it on. Easy £4K for them if you roll over; if not then they pay up and are no worse off.
      That´s exactly what I was thinking, that they may be just betting to see if I´m willing to fight this off, if not, they just save 4k pounds, if not, they would pay me (I hope!) and problem solved.

Thanks a lot to everybody for your comments, even the funny ones :P

Searching online I just found this link, it relates a similar issue, and explains legally what are the reasons for the company to pay, even if it´s a bit old, looks like should be the same now.

http://www.supplymanagement.com/law/...voices-be-paid

Again, thanks.

Comment

Give them 14 days to pay and then inform them in no uncertain terms that you will take legal action via your soliciter for which you will charge.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by rvarela View Post
          Well,

After I spoken with the finance assistant, she asked me to provide the letter where they raised my day rate, and the invoice for the under charged amount. But she was pendant of the COO approval on this.

Today I recieved this email.

"Hi Raul,

Thanks for sending us the copies. I’ve spoken to Michael about this, unfortunately, as it was your responsibility to bill Cr@pCo correctly, I am afraid we cannot accept the back dated amendment to these paid invoices. If you have further questions, please let us know."

I honestly thought they were to respond in a positive way, I´m really surprised about this cold answer. So I think I will take some legal advice on this, as I don´t think there´s any specific clause on the contract that support this decision.

What do you guys think? By the way, any legal service that you would recommend for this issue? what company do you use?

Thanks.
          It absolutely was your responsibility to invoice correctly, but your failure to do so correctly does not cancel out their debt to you.

Personally, as it's a bit of a mess of your own making, I would send them the invoice with a friendly note explaining this, with perhaps an apology for the inconvenience (as you have created this mess).. and then follow it up with a legal route, proceeding to small claims court ASAP after appropriate intermediate steps.
          Last edited by speling bee; 15 April 2014, 11:53.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            It absolutely was your responsibility to invoice correctly, but your failure to do so correctly does not cancel out their debt to you.

Personally, as it's a bit of a mess of your own making, I would send them the invoice with a friendly note explaining this, with perhaps an apology for the inconvenience (as you have created this mess).. and then follow it up with a legal route, proceeding to small claims court ASAP after appropriate intermediate steps.
            Actually, I was in conversations with the financial assistant, who asked me for the invoice, and the letter where they raised my day rate, so I sent it to her and later on the day I received the email once she talked with this Michael (COO).

My conversations with the financial assistant were polite and I apologised for any inconvenience created. So from now I will follow the legal procedure, they already have the invoice, and by contract they have 30 days to make the payment, so I will follow with a solicitor's letter for a debt recovery. Is that alright? Or should I send them a more formal letter explaining that if they don´t make the payment within our contract terms, I will follow the legal way?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Give them 14 days to pay and then inform them in no uncertain terms that you will take legal action via your soliciter for which you will charge.
              My contract gives them 30 days to make the payment, I'll do that then. Thanks.

Comment

My contract gives them 30 days to make the payment, I'll do that then. Thanks.
                Please let us know how it pans out. We live for these stories.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Thanks for sending us the copies. I’ve spoken to Michael about this, unfortunately, as it was your responsibility to bill xxxx correctly,
                  I'm guessing that there was some currency conversion going on here with that reference to "bill xxxxxx correctly" Is that the case? Or is "xxxx" the company in question?
                  Last edited by NickNick; 15 April 2014, 12:20. Reason: Added anonimity
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                    I'm guessing that there was some currency conversion going on here with that reference to "bill xxxx correctly" Is that the case? Or is "XXXX" the company in question?
                    Yes, XXXX is the company name.
                    Last edited by rvarela; 15 April 2014, 11:45.

Comment

In that case I stand corrected and you may wish to delete that from your earlier posts to avoid anything popping up when someone does some research in advance of anything legal happening?
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X