• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cater Allen going downhill fast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cater Allen going downhill fast

Cater Allen really is going down hill quickly.

Lately they now call me whenever I use my card for purchases over a certain amount. I've been with them for 8 years and that never happened previously. The other day they rang me up and asked me about more transactions. I confirmed each one of them as OK.

Today the merchants I ordered good from complained the card was declined when they tried to actually get the money.

What is up with Cater Allen?

Now looking for another bank. Any recommendations. It will be hard to match FREE with a FREE 'deferred debit card' - surely there is something close out there?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Never done that with me....

Comment

Is it just Cater Allen? I've had the same happen with Barclaycard twice in the past couple of months.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        Is it just Cater Allen? I've had the same happen with Barclaycard twice in the past couple of months.
        Me too, I frequently get blocked (ok, 2 or 3 times a year maybe) on my Tesco Mastercard. Seems if I try an but anything out the ordinary it raises a suspicious transaction flag. On the other hand, nice to know they're looking out for anything dodgy.

Comment

I found it annoying that after they ring me up and after they have confirmation, the transaction gets declined. That I find annoying.

I'm not complaining too much about the phone call - makes sense as I do almost all my card transactions online.

A mate told me that they probably forgot to remove the block on that transaction. Apparently it needs to be done manually per individual transaction.

Suppose I might stay with them for a while - I always liked the ability to go to a branch and actually talk to someone like when I was with RBS. I only moved from RBS as they were charging £10/mnth plus £35/yr for a card. I think RBS now has a debit card included and have reduced their month cost.
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
            Me too, I frequently get blocked (ok, 2 or 3 times a year maybe) on my Tesco Mastercard. Seems if I try an but anything out the ordinary it raises a suspicious transaction flag. On the other hand, nice to know they're looking out for anything dodgy.
            Tesco are pretty good at looking for unexpected transactions - and they get in touch pretty sharpish to make sure it's genuine or not. I was buying flights one year and the card was rejected. I told the airline to hold on a second as my mobile was ringing and it was Tesco to clear the transaction.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Anyone else find it ironic that at the same time this thread is moaning because Cater Allen are checking dodgy transactions, there is another one today moaning that Cater Allen security is rubbish?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Anyone else find it ironic that at the same time this thread is moaning because Cater Allen are checking dodgy transactions, there is another one today moaning that Cater Allen security is rubbish?
                Aye, I had noticed that

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Tesco are pretty good at looking for unexpected transactions - and they get in touch pretty sharpish to make sure it's genuine or not. I was buying flights one year and the card was rejected. I told the airline to hold on a second as my mobile was ringing and it was Tesco to clear the transaction.
                  Yeah - CA also asked about the regular transactions as well - like my broadband which I've been paying for six years. And there was one transaction for £1 as well. Makes them look really stupid I think.

Anyway, decided to switch - it doesn't take much to piss me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                    My credit card provider does this to me from time to time as well and I am more than happy with it. Much rather they were checking than not. Got a call from them once about a pizza I apparently ordered in Sweden.. WTF?!? Apparently fraudsters who have the details make a small payment to see if it is working before selling it on so was very thankful for the call in that case.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X