• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Strange Situation - Shares Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Strange Situation - Shares Ltd Company

Hi Everyone,

I know that everyone get's sick of these "how to add a shareholder" threads. I've been lurking and trying to find something that applies to my situation but I can't really find anything.

My partner (boyfriend) has just set up a Limited Company with him as the Director and 100 shares. Before he set this up, he asked if I wanted to be added and I said no (stupidly) because I didn't want the hassle attached to it - despite knowing was going to be doing work in some capacity for the company anyway.

On reflection I've decided that it makes sense for me to be a Director and Shareholder as it was both of our brainchild and idea, etc. And eventually I would like to run it as well. Again, why I said no in the first place was stupid so it's my own fault.

He has since added me as a Director of the company and I believe that has gone through just fine. The only other thing left is Shares. What is the best way of me acquiring them in the company? Should I buy them off of my partner, he gift them, we add more? I'm only wondering as if anything does go South at any time I won't be losing out entirely.

Also what do you think is the best way to split them, 50/50, 40/60? He's willing to add me as a shareholder also we just aren't sure the best way to go about it.

At the moment we haven't taken any money in just in case that makes any difference, but I believe it will start generating some within the coming weeks so better to act sooner than later?

I appreciate any help! Thanks

What does the company do? Will you be doing any fee earning work, or more admin work?

If your boyfriend is an IT contractor then the usual stuff about section 660a/Income Shifting would apply, and there are a ton of threads here discussing that subject!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      What does the company do? Will you be doing any fee earning work, or more admin work?
      Hi Clare,

Web and Graphic Design. I intend on working full time doing pretty much all graphic design work as it will only be the two of us. (And will be taking on Director responsibilities now)

Comment

Originally posted by kirkdon View Post
        Hi Everyone,

I know that everyone get's sick of these "how to add a shareholder" threads. I've been lurking and trying to find something that applies to my situation but I can't really find anything.
        Well you got that bit right.

My partner (boyfriend) has just set up a Limited Company with him as the Director and 100 shares. Before he set this up, he asked if I wanted to be added and I said no (stupidly) because I didn't want the hassle attached to it - despite knowing was going to be doing work in some capacity for the company anyway.

On reflection I've decided that it makes sense for me to be a Director and Shareholder as it was both of our brainchild and idea, etc. And eventually I would like to run it as well. Again, why I said no in the first place was stupid so it's my own fault.

He has since added me as a Director of the company and I believe that has gone through just fine. The only other thing left is Shares. What is the best way of me acquiring them in the company? Should I buy them off of my partner, he gift them, we add more? I'm only wondering as if anything does go South at any time I won't be losing out entirely.

Also what do you think is the best way to split them, 50/50, 40/60? He's willing to add me as a shareholder also we just aren't sure the best way to go about it.

At the moment we haven't taken any money in just in case that makes any difference, but I believe it will start generating some within the coming weeks so better to act sooner than later?

I appreciate any help! Thanks
        Did your search not come up with a lot of stuff about adding a spouse is OK, anyone else it is not?

Why is he not asking his accountant this?
        Why is he not posting on here asking as it is his shares he is giving away?

EDIT : This was posted while I was typing.

Web and Graphic Design. I intend on working full time doing pretty much all graphic design work as it will only be the two of us. (And will be taking on Director responsibilities now)
        Very different set up to the IT contractor shares to wife scam so you really need to speak to your accountant. All the advice on here is about giving wife/gf/a n other shares for no other reason than tax avoidance so not really relevant to you if you are genuinely both going in to business.

One thing to remember though, when you split up it will get very messy. If either director has access to the accounts one could clean the bank out and do a runner leaving the other responsible for the debts (well they both would be but some people can be very bitter). We have at least one poster on here in that situation. More importantly than the share split is what happens in the worst case. Make sure it's documented and done properly.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 28 March 2014, 14:55.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Did your search not come up with a lot of stuff about adding a spouse is OK, anyone else it is not?

Why is he not asking his accountant this?
          Why is he not posting on here asking as it is his shares he is giving away?
          Yes it did, which is why I'm asking what the best route to go is. He is going to be asking his accountant I just thought I'd do some research myself and see what suggestions people gave back.

Comment

What is the best way of me acquiring them in the company? Should I buy them off of my partner, he gift them, we add more? I'm only wondering as if anything does go South at any time I won't be losing out entirely.
            Get a professional valuation of the company and buy them. If they are gifted, then you will fall foul of the income shifting rules because you aren't married / in a civil partnership. Make sure that you take professional advice about how to do this - get it wrong and it will cost you both dearly.

There is only one poster I can think of on CUK who has done this with a partner who they aren't married to - he will be along soon and explain more, no doubt.

There is no "best way" - again, take professional advice. If you are both going to be earning, then it would make sense for the share split to be roughly in proportion to the amount of work / income you do / produce. That's just my thoughts, though.

Just because there is no money in the company doesn't make it worthless. If you are buying the shares from the company, then your professional valuation will take this into account.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Possibly, but that makes a number of assumptions, which based on the original post you cannot possibly know whether they are applicable or not.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Get a professional valuation of the company and buy them. If they are gifted, then you will fall foul of the income shifting rules because you aren't married / in a civil partnership. Make sure that you take professional advice about how to do this - get it wrong and it will cost you both dearly.

There is only one poster I can think of on CUK who has done this with a partner who they aren't married to - he will be along soon and explain more, no doubt.

There is no "best way" - again, take professional advice. If you are both going to be earning, then it would make sense for the share split to be roughly in proportion to the amount of work / income you do / produce. That's just my thoughts, though.

Just because there is no money in the company doesn't make it worthless. If you are buying the shares from the company, then your professional valuation will take this into account.
                I appreciate your response. I'll get in contact with the accountant asap and find out what the next step is.

Comment

EDIT : This was posted while I was typing.

Very different set up to the IT contractor shares to wife scam so you really need to speak to your accountant. All the advice on here is about giving wife/gf/a n other shares for no other reason than tax avoidance so not really relevant to you if you are genuinely both going in to business.

One thing to remember though, when you split up it will get very messy. If either director has access to the accounts one could clean the bank out and do a runner leaving the other responsible for the debts (well they both would be but some people can be very bitter). We have at least one poster on here in that situation. More importantly than the share split is what happens in the worst case. Make sure it's documented and done properly.
                  Thanks. I'll get in touch with the accountant and see where the next step is. I only posted here as I thought I could get some advice from those sort of in the same situation or had been through a similiar thing. I have heard some horror stories from those worst case scenarios!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Possibly, but that makes a number of assumptions, which based on the original post you cannot possibly know whether they are applicable or not.
                    You are going to make me cry!

p.s. could you not say the same for 99.9% of posts on here?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X