• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
    Bog + iPhone (or something similar) = paid surfing

I'll be farked when I get a gig where the bogs don't get a decent 3G signal.
    Swipe card to get into bog area is never good either. They can tell how much bog time per day you have then if they wanted to! :-)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

At the end of the day you can argue until you're blue in the face whether you're right or wrong, whether you've got to do these hours, whether you've got to come in this time or not. BUT, if you do something the client doesnt like it wont end well either now or at renewal time.

Personally, I tend to ask the client, so you happy for me to come in x time most days? Or remote working possible?

Of course, the old chestnut is, come in early and not many people see you doing this. Leave early and everyone sees you walking out the door.

In OPs situation, hes making it worse by taking no/short lunch. Everyone is going to assume hes had at least 30 mins anyway. Personally, I ensure I take 30-45 mins or more if I want to and leave little later.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Swipe card to get into bog area is never good either. They can tell how much bog time per day you have then if they wanted to! :-)
        That would be my worst nightmare
        "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Apart from the fact you put yourself firmly on their radar and don't expect any more flexibility from the client when you really need it.
          I guess that rather depends on the way you approach it with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            I guess that rather depends on the way you approach it with them.
            Agreed, and very much on the people they are dealing with at the client end. If I was paying a bunch of contractors £400 a day I would certainly be aware of this situation in particular. I am all for a bit of give and take and flexibility but if one of them starts making an issue out of 15 mins here and there he would certainly ping on my radar until I am confident this is just a one off and not a general attitude.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Agreed, and very much on the people they are dealing with at the client end. If I was paying a bunch of contractors £400 a day I would certainly be aware of this situation in particular. I am all for a bit of give and take and flexibility but if one of them starts making an issue out of 15 mins here and there he would certainly ping on my radar until I am confident this is just a one off and not a general attitude.
              People tend to forget that.

If you make a fuss about "mandatory" breaks when it comes to them being flexible with you they won't be.

I had a client where we had to clock in and out and 30 minutes was taken mandatory if you didn't take lunch.

Funny thing was you could be clocked in and not be working on their stuff.

Management didn't mind as long as you didn't make a fuss and delivered what they required on time. So a few contractors did their own projects or alternative client work ensuring they used the right network.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
                That would be my worst nightmare
                I read a story once about mines at the turn of the 20th century where each miner had a token with their number on it. They would hand that to a 'toilet warden' so that he could register what time the went to the toilet and what time the came back to retrieve their token. Anything over 5 minutes was taken out of their pay.

To make it even worse, they had rusty metal spikes on the wall behind the toilet so no-one would 'sit back and relax'.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  I read a story once about mines at the turn of the 20th century where each miner had a token with their number on it. They would hand that to a 'toilet warden' so that he could register what time the went to the toilet and what time the came back to retrieve their token. Anything over 5 minutes was taken out of their pay.

To make it even worse, they had rusty metal spikes on the wall behind the toilet so no-one would 'sit back and relax'.
                  Unless they were fakirs

Comment

Working...
                  X