• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New HMRC campaign targeting clients is revealed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps they're searching for big companies that employ armies of contractors then they send in the Inspector and get 200 contractors in one scoop.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      The PCG isn't a charity, so HMRC can't get their membership list.
      Hence the comment in brackets...

(I know I know, just talking hypothetically)
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I wonder why it is so hard for HMRC to get it right? If they nailed it it would be like taking candy from a baby.

How about getting QDOS and B&C to give up their failed contract review list. Compare this list with the PCG membership (I know I know, just talking hypothetically) and write to those that don't have membership. Catch a ton of people with their pants down. Sorted.
        How about looking somewhere like CUK to find where people say "avoid ABC Agency, they won't give you an IR35-friendly contract" and then ask them for all their contractors that accepted their standard contract?

If HMRC are asking all small businesses to get their supplier details, shouldn't we all be expecting a letter asking for the details of all our suppliers as well?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          How about looking somewhere like CUK to find where people say "avoid ABC Agency, they won't give you an IR35-friendly contract" and then ask them for all their contractors that accepted their standard contract?
          Am right up for that. Or any posts asking 'Can I give my wife shares so I can avoid tax'
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If HMRC are asking all small businesses to get their supplier details, shouldn't we all be expecting a letter asking for the details of all our suppliers as well?
            I would have thought that the supplier to the end client would be the agency...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              Except for those that have a direct relationship

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                Maybe it's a ploy from larger agencies - avoid the small ones and going direct, and we won't have to tell HMRC your details...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The point is that if HMRC are writing out to large companies that they suspect use a lot of contractors, the chances are that the company will use an agency to source their contractors. In that scenario the agency is the supplier and if there are a good few contractors then the fees paid will exceed the upper limit and nothing will need to be disclosed.

Of course, if you use a smaller agency or go direct then the above won’t apply…further supporting PCGs point about penalising smaller businesses.

Comment

Hang on - if they write to a client and ask how their contractors are paid then they will reply that the pay X a day/hour to agency X.

If they write to agency X and ask how the contractors are paid then they will say we pay them Y per day/hour.

How does this give any information about IR35 liabilities or have I missed the point?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Hang on - if they write to a client and ask how their contractors are paid then they will reply that the pay X a day/hour to agency X.

If they write to agency X and ask how the contractors are paid then they will say we pay them Y per day/hour.

How does this give any information about IR35 liabilities or have I missed the point?
                      My guess, and this is just a guess, is that they would be looking to replace IR35 with something else and this is part of a preliminary data gathering excercise to work out the size of the target.
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X