• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Accountant Selection Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Accountant Selection Advice

    Hi

    I am looking for a good accountant in London to do my accounts of my LTD company. Searching the web I found a company called Forbes Young.
    They seem to have offices all over the country not just in London but I cant seem to find many reviews about them?

    Does anyone know anything about them or have any personal experience working with them?

    My alternative to them was going with 1st Contact, but I feel that Forbes are more of an accountancy firm where 1st Contact are a company doing some accountancy services.

    All comments welcome

    Thanks in advance

    #2
    IMO go SJD. They have 8 offices in and around London, not that you will ever have to travel to them. They are contractor specialists that know how we work and are the biggest contractor accountants around at the moment. Say his name three times and the owner may even appear on here to say hello to you.

    Our Offices - Find Your Nearest SJD Accountancy Office

    Looking at the F0rbes site it says they are number 1 accountants which isn't true now and looking at the list they were number 1 in I don't see SJD or InTouch listed at all and NW at 96. That would make me highly suspicious so would disregard that.

    They are only mentioned on these boards twice as well with no feedback so would also not really bother with them on that fact alone.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      IMO go SJD. They have 8 offices in and around London, not that you will ever have to travel to them. They are contractor specialists that know how we work and are the biggest contractor accountants around at the moment. Say his name three times and the owner may even appear on here to say hello to you.
      A poke around Companies House suggests the directors, or some of them, were formerly regional SJD directors.

      The lack of a company number, registered office address, or regulatory details on the web site is surprising.

      Comment


        #4
        I use Forbes Young, no problems so far.
        Queries answered promptly whether by phone or email.
        Fees seem to be about average.
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          A poke around Companies House suggests the directors, or some of them, were formerly regional SJD directors.

          The lack of a company number, registered office address, or regulatory details on the web site is surprising.
          Yup, this post says the same with an interesting comment from Simon on the matter. Not sure if the guy in question is related to Forbes though.

          http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...antfriend.html

          EDIT : Saying that found this..

          Never heard of them but they've got a peapod on their website so they must be good. Ken McTaggart used to be with SJD but had a massive barney with Simon Dolan. It was well documented on here. I reckon its just another mob trying to have a run a the contractor market.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

          Comment


            #6
            More Simon wanabees They'll never be as good as the original
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

            Follow us on Twitter.

            ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by GlenW View Post
              I use Forbes Young, no problems so far.
              Queries answered promptly whether by phone or email.
              Fees seem to be about average.
              +1, I moved to Forbes Young from Churchill Knight, very happy with the level of service, prompt replies to emails, supplied spreadsheet is very easy to maintain on month by month basis. No errors with regards to any of the paperwork/returns (and I check everything with a fine tooth comb, was bitten with Churchill Knight who c0cked up at every available opportunity!) and pro-active tax advice to book. Fees are average IMO, recommended
              Last edited by kal; 11 March 2014, 13:29.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                More Simon wanabees They'll never be as good as the original
                Ah, how sweet
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Online vs Offline Accounts

                  A key consideration for me was FreeAgent and getting an accountant that worked with that. Not only does it allow you to do all your accounts stuff online - bank account management, expenses, payroll, invoicing, divis - it also gives you a realtime view of your company tax position, employee SA position and it integrates with HMRC to file VAT & RTI online.

                  Maybe its cheaper to go with a spreadsheet rather than the uplift the FreeAgent fee introduces to your monthly accountancy charge, but the ease of use and one-stop-shop nature swing it for me.

                  As for the accountant I use Maslins - local to me, although I've only needed a face to face once - who respond to emails and phone calls usually in a few hours.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mojito View Post
                    As for the accountant I use Maslins - local to me, although I've only needed a face to face once - who respond to emails and phone calls usually in a few hours.
                    I hear they're awesome...you should definitely check them out

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X