• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract review says I'm inside IR35 - colleagues working as outside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Perhaps a good reason for not getting a contract professionally reviewed?
    It's catch-22 - if HMRC come calling and find you inside and you didn't do any due diligence, then they will probably hammer you for deliberate evasion and add on penalties.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
      The contract is the first thing HMRC will look at in an enquiry. If, for instance, your working practices were all fine but you had a dodgy agency contract with a fettered RoS, HMRC would undoubtedly focus on that. It would make things quite difficult - despite the reality of the situation being compliant.
      Conversely then, if you contract was reviewed as inside, and your treated as a pemie in practice (as in this case) then all is fine and in fact, working practices don't matter?

Comment

I think that getting a contract re-written to reflect working practices that are not a reality is simply asking for trouble
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

One thing I've found is that client written contracts can be written by HR who don't understand how contractors are really working in the organisation. They know the rules that are applied to employees and assume that contractors adhere to those rules and work in the same way, but that's not necessarily the case. I've worked in a company where I'm more self-managing, decide how I work, not attending/invited to corporate meetings, work from home more, keep different hours etc etc. HR probably wouldn't like it as I wasn't following employee rules but I wasn't an employee and the business contacts were happy with how I was providing the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Posie View Post
            It's very difficult for me to know how to renegotiate the contract. B&C gave me the impression there was nothing I could do. What the client really wants are permanent employees, the contractors are just filling the gaps and doing whatever work the permies would be doing.
            To be honest, if B&C say you are screwed then there is no point discussing it any further. They will have worked with you if there was some wiggle room. If they gave you an outright no then it can't be any clearer. You also covered the whole situation in that last sentence. No way that situation could be outside IR35.

You have your answer. Time to either suck it up or work. Nothing else to do here.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You have your answer. Time to either suck it up or work. Nothing else to do here.
              No time to make a large pension contribution and find something else in 3 months time.....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X